Good Golly Miss Molly

I decided to drive Jack home for once because he was still shaken up after the explosion. I helped him inside his apartment and sat him down on the couch. I started looking around his pantry and realized the only thing he had was a can of beans.

 "Why don't you have more food in here?"

 "I'm usually working late at the office so I order out quite a bit." 

I nodded and grabbed my keys. 

"Where are you headed, Melody?"

 "I'm going to the store to get some groceries. I owe you dinner. Just stay here and I'll be back soon." 

Before he could protest I slipped out the front door.

An hour later I was cooking up a storm. I had noticed Jack liked Italian food so I decided to make Risotto. He set the table and poured the wine just as I was finishing in the kitchen. I served his plate and mine and sat down. He took a bite and smiled while chewing.

 "I could get used to this," he said in between bites.

 "Don't think this will become a regular thing, Jack. I have a career of my own to focus on. I don't plan on becoming a housewife." 

"I didn't expect you to. I know you'd insist on teaching me how to cook so we could split making dinner."

 I laughed and took a sip of my wine.

 "Jack, a few weeks ago when you talked about the metal you got..."

 "It's really nothing. I'd rather just not talk about old war stories. I hear enough of those as it is." 

No matter how he tried to hide it, I knew he was deeply ashamed of something. I didn't want to make him upset, but I felt I deserved to know.

"What I want to know Brown is your idea of teasing me in the filing room the other day. I thought we called a truce." 

I scoffed and took another bite of my Risotto.

 "We never did such a thing, and you looked like a puppy who got it's bone taken away. You can't control yourself around me."

 "Oh please. I can be professional." 

I rolled my eyes at him.

 "Okay, since you're so confident Thompson let's make a bet. I bet you can't go one day without fooling around in the office, and I mean doing absolutely nothing." 

Jack leaned in close to me so our noses were touching. His eyes lingered on my lips and I licked them slowly.

 "If I win, then you have to come over and cook dinner for me for a week."

 "And if I win," I cut in, "Then you have to carry me up to my apartment for a week." 

He flashed me his perfectly white teeth.

 "It's a deal."