Revali's Thoughts

I am always lost in my thoughts... and I blew it today for any chance with Lasli, who's been my crush for years now.

Lasli is so beautiful, you'd think she came from the sky. She's so kind and wonderful, to everyone. Well, that excludes me, but no-one in Rito Village does, so that's beside the point.

Anyway, so I was training at the Flight Range as usual - I've been working on something BIG. So big, that the whole village will start talking to me again! I can't wait for them to find out - but I haven't exactly perfected it yet. I've got the gale going, but flying in it... well...

So I was busy working out this new move, with the other Rito warriors glaring at me like I was a cat in the village. I try to bear them no mind, but I can always feel their stares... it's like they burn into me, whispering You're a loser, Revali. Give up now, Revali. You're useless, Revali. It is hard being hated here.

Today I felt like the stares were less... burning. I really concentrated, and by the end of the session, I felt much more accomplished. Perhaps even brave enough to ask Lasli out.

How stupid... Stupid, stupid bird... 

When I did ask her out, she gave me a funny look. Her beak was up in the air... maybe I was just scum to her. Her beak slowly turned down, and she snipped a hurried yes, and asked when. 

"Maybe tonight?" I questioned. "By the stable?" 

"Fine." She sounded not a lot like the Lasli I thought I knew. But I was feeling too amazing to notice.

When the sun finally set over the beautiful mountains of Hebra, I hurried to the stable. Rito stable is right next to the village, and sometimes I can meet new people that talk to me! The stable feels like such an exciting prospect, like the calling of a new world. Maybe there is more than the simple Rito village I've always known. 

When Lasli arrived, she was silhouetted by the sun. She looked nervous, for some odd reason. I called her over. "You look nervous." I said. She huffed, as if to warn me that one more slip of my tongue and she would be gone as quickly as she came.

"Would you like to go to Hebra? I know the area pretty well, it's a beautiful place..." I trailed off, looking at her expectantly. Lasli was examining her feathers. She looked up. "What? Oh, sure."

I took her around the mountains, it truly is beautiful up there. I talked Lasli through each place - the Coldsnap Hollow, the Secret Hot Springs, even down to the Great Skeleton... but Lasli seemed distracted, like she didn't like this. I told her so.

She was just about to snap and get really mad at me when something burst out of the ground.

The "thing" was a lizard-like beast... its back was speckled with navy and ice blue... its underbelly was a beige... and it took one look at Lasli and me and let out a roar.

"This... isn't... great..." I said turning slowly to Lasli. But she had already run away, screaming "I knew you were evil! You are trying to kill me!"

I felt tears well up in my eyes before the pain of a gash on my feathers. The monster was attempting to kill me, but I soared up to the Flight Range... I couldn't fight it now, now I had no-one to fight for.

I landed in the little house by the Flight Range just before the waterfall fell, harder than it ever had before.

Sometimes it is hard being hated in the place that you call home.

But it is harder when it feels like there's no escape from it.