Chapter 20 (Joke)

We walk to our next destination. I bring Oat to Malacca's Chinatown and we took a lot of picture there. After we finished, I bring him to Baba Nyonya Heritage Museum. He ask a lot of question to me.

"What is Baba Nyonya?" He asked.

"Well, actually they are also called as Peranakan. They were one of the ethnic that included in the first waves of Chinese settlers in the Malay Peninsula and Indonesian Archipelago. Peranakan culture, especially the dominant Peranakan centres of Malacca, Singapore and Penang is characterized by its unique hybridization of ancient Chinese culture of the Nusantara region."

I stop and look at Oat whether he is still listening to my answer or not. When I'm pretty sure that he still paying attention to what I said, I continue my answer.

"The Peranakan that is from the southern provinces of China who arrived in the Nusantara region between 15th and 17th centuries, taking abode in Malay Peninsula where their descendants in Malacca, Singapore and Penang are referred to as Baba-Nyonya. To make it short, Nyonya stands for the Peranakan women while Baba refers to Peranakan men" I said

"Ohh.. I see, when I was in school, I didn't like history's subject. It makes me sleepy." He said.

"I know, just by looking at you I can sense that you are lazy" I said jokingly.

"Hey! I was a successful student okay. I just don't particularly like that subject but I still score it." He then start to brag about his golden moment while he was in school. I ignored him and walk to another part of them museum. I could see that he is dissatisfy with me, I just laugh and continue my walk.

After finished, we decided to go to Dutch Square and just walk around that area since I was planning to go back to the river for River Cruise. While we were walking, we talk a lot about our self.

"Did you often go here?" He ask

"Hurmm.. I could say that since I lived not far from here."

"I see, so besides all the place that you bring me today. Where did you like to go?"

"I like to go to Butterfly and Reptile Sanctuary. I love to see the beautiful butterfly there. Sometimes they would fly and stop at my shoulder! I would just freeze and let them sit there for as long as they want"

"Don't you feel tired?" He asked.

"Nope! I like it when animal was interested in me" I said and laughed at my own answer.

"What about human? I'm in front of you and I like you. Don't you like me?" He look at my eyes while saying his words.

His words makes me shock, but then I just laughed at him and continue as if there is nothing happened and assumes that he is just messing up with me.

"Let's go to our next destination, are you ready sir?" I bow as I asked him the question.

He pretend to act like a young master and nod at me. I rolled my eyes and bring him to Malacca River.

While we were waiting for our turn to ride the cruise, I explained to him a little bit about Malacca River.

"Did you know, before this Malacca River was once dubbed the 'Venice of the East' by European seafarers as it was a prominent port of entry for traders from Europe and Asia during the late 16th century?"

Without waiting for his answer, I continue to say..

"Well sir, today I will bring you to see a tranquil views of colonial buildings, antiquated shop houses, local settlements and ancient bridges. Hope you enjoy our 45-minutes River Cruise!" I said enthusiastically.

We hop on to the cruise and enjoy the view.

"Yan! Look here" Oat called me.

I look at him and he immediately took my picture. I pouted.

"If you want to take my picture, just say it so that I can pose in a swag position and I will look cool" I said shamelessly.

He snickered at my answer and then we took a lot of selfies. Well I could say that if we could sum up all the picture that we took today, it will be the same as the amount of picture that I took with Harris. Wait, maybe my picture with Harris is lesser than that.

I shook my head, this is not the time for me to think about Harris. Although he has proved to me that he doesn't have any special relationship with that girl, I still can't wipe away all my doubt in a split of second.

I look at Oat and saw him smiling while looking at his phone.

"What are you looking at? Girlfriend huh?" I said to him.

"I could just hoping that she will be my girlfriend someday" He replied.

"Wow!! Who is she? Let me see" I said as I took his phone away from him.

I look at his phone and I could saw my picture appeared on the screen. I look at him and he avoided my eye contact.

"Geez, don't make joke like this" I said to him and return his phone. He just laughed at me.

"You should see your face! It was priceless" He said while continuously laughing at me. I hit him with my handbag and then I laugh with him.

"Look! A giant lizard!" I pointed to the lizard.

"That's your friend. Hello Yanna's friend. How are you?" He greet the lizard. I glare at him.

Then I wave to all the people across the river and they waved back. I loved to do that since we can greet everyone without being shame.

After we finished with our ride. I decided to end our tour since I started to feel tired with all the walk.

"Let's go home, I'm so tired" I said to him.

He just nod.

I drive my car to his hotel and then say goodbye to him. Before I could drive away, he opened the door and said.

"Yan, if you have any problem, remember that I will always be by your side"

I look at him weirdly, then I just nod. After that, I drive home and take a nice shower.

After finished, I plop myself on the bed and open my phone. As promised, I texted Harris and he said he want to meet me tomorrow. I just agreed with that since I really want to clear things up with him.