there gotta be an other way

''no!" she stood up. that was way too much. marrying him? no way. never! there possibly was an other way to solve their problem. not by marrying the man she has never been in love with and whom she will never fall for.

" i am sorry but this is not how i want things to be. not like this" she took her purse and got out of the restaurant. everyone in the restaurant had turned their attention to them. he followed her calling her name.

" wait. Rebecca wait. let's talk" he said pulling her by the wrist

" you don't understand. i can not marry you. steve what will the future of our baby be like if he grows up in a family that has no love?"

" but Rebecca there is no other way to clear this mess. look am really sorry but i need to protect the both of you" Rebecca had already stopped a cab

" i need to go steve! i am sorry" she entered the cab and then left. steve ran a hand through his hair frustrated. what else could he do?  getting married to her would be a perfect option. may be they could end up falling for each other. he called cole.

" bro we have to talk, i have made up my mind and i am marrying Rebecca."

" what? marry her?ok let's talk. let's meet up. where are you, i will find you there."

" let's meet at a a bar. i will text you the address"

"ok, i am on my way"

********

Steve was already having a glass when Cole arrived. they exchanged a bear hug and Cole sat near him then ordered a glass too.

" what took you so long bro?"

" Traffic. so tell me, are you  really serious about marrying her"

" yes, it is the right thing to do. i want to give her the kind of life that she deserves. i want to give her back the value that she lost that i made her lose. i will not allow anyone to mistreat her saying she carries a bastard."

" but bro, you don't love her. she doesn't love you either"

" i know, but who knows? may be we shall eventually come around one day"

" Did you tell her? " Steve nodded and took a sip on is drink, and then put it down.

" and she said no, but i will have to convince her  no matter what. she keeps on insisting that there gotta be an other way but i see no other way"

" bro, is there anything i can help you with?. but bro, it will not be easy. i have known Rebecca for only a week now but i know that she is not easy to convince. but since i have become quite close to Lizzy, i will talk to her"

" that would help. and Cole, none of my family should know. they have to think that we are really in love and that she really is my fiancee."

" alright bro, as you wish. i will help you as much as I can"

" thanks bro, i knew i could count on you "

*******

"you're home!  how did it go?" Lizzy asked when Rebecca entered the house. she looked confused and kind of sad.

" sis, you don't look good. what did he tell you? tell me." she got close to her and sat in the sofa.

" he asked me to marry him" Rebecca said calmly and sat near her sister

" what? marry him? but..what did you say?" Lizzy was obviously confused.

" he said that it was the only way that he can protect us. me and the baby"