Chapter Nine

"Yoooo!! Guess what"
That was a dm from Debola.

"What's up? What am I guessing?"

"I shot my shot in this guy's dm"

"Omg, which guy? What's his handle, let me see. Did he reply you?"

"Yes!!!! I scored. So we talking now🤭. You wouldn't believe who he is though"

"Guy, who is he? Stop keeping me in suspense."

"Okay okay sheesh so impatient. It's 'Dimeji'"

"Who is Dimeji?"

"Check out his page girl"

"Alrightty"

Lara immediately visited 'Dimeji's profile. She couldn't believe what she saw.

"Whattt??? Dimeji as in Ola from school?? That medical student you were crushing on then?"

"Yes love, I don't know how I came across his page but I started following him and I just decided to message him"

"Just like that? You weren't even scared that he'd post screenshots on his page or he'd turn you down?"

"Omo, I was scared he wouldn't even reply me but I didn't have anything to lose. And besides, I'm not that bad looking."

Lara rolled her eyes at the message cause that was an understatement. Debola, light skinned and at 5'9, was very very pretty. God really took his time creating her.

"I'm so excited for you and I admire your confidence, if only I could do this"

"Hmm, is there someone you have your eyes on?"

At that moment, Lara wanted nothing more than to confide in her best friend and tell her all about her crush on Ronnie and how she's too chicken to dm her.

"Lol no, there's no one. So give me full details on how it went down in the dms!"

————

"What is this?"

Lara was about going to her room after serving her dad's food when he spoke up.

"Sir?"

"What did you serve me? Food without fish or meat?"

"There's no fish or meat at home anymore and since you don't have money for it, we're all eating it like that."

"Who do you think you're talking to like that?" He stood up angrily and was walking menacingly toward her.

"What's happening?" Her mum came into the living room. She probably heard her husband's raised voice.

"I just told daddy that there's no meat or fish at home and he was getting angry", Lara spoke up, emboldened by her mother's presence.

"Just look at the way your daughter is talking to me. Look at what you raised, speaking to me in that manner in my own house." He rounded on her mum immediately, pointing an accusatory finger at her.

"Don't be angry, she's just a kid."

Lara stared in disbelief at her mother, whose voice had taken on an apologetic tone.

"You had better deal with your daughter." He said and he stormed out of the house leaving his meal untouched.

"Mummy, how can you say that?"

Her mother's body sagged completely like she had been holding her breath.

"What do you want me to say? Do you want me to stand there and watch him throw you out? It'd be better for you if you learn to keep your mouth shut and not provoke him any further."

"But mummy, that's not fair. I didn't even do anything wrong, totally unfair"
Lara angrily walked out of the living room, leaving her mother behind with her thoughts.

*                    *                    *                    *

We finally meet Lara's father 😕
Don't forget to vote & comment guys 💕