XXXII

Boston, Massachusetts

"Would you still love me if you knew I'm bald right now?"

"Yeah." Conan chuckled.

"Well, I'm not. My hair is just shorter."

    Conan was let go the night prior, but he came to visit June every day while she was at the hospital. Her head, although injured, was healing fast, and the gash on her head was way smaller than the thought it was. He was in shock, and maybe that was the reason he saw that much blood coming from her the day she was attacked. He didn't like to think of that moment, it made him uncomfortable. As relieved as he was after seeing June was okay, he wished it had never happened.

"They'll release me in a week I believe." June smiled. "Then you'll see the state of my hair and you'll decide if I'm worth it."

June was probably joking but Conan fired an annoyed look at her.

She sighed. "Sorry. Low self-esteem kicking in."

"I know what is like."

"How's your hand?"

He looked at his own hand, still on a cast. His muscular pain had severely decreased and he wasn't wearing an arm sling anymore. "Oh, it's fine. It doesn't hurt that much. I think I'll get rid of the cast in a few days or so."

"Did it hurt?"

"Not at the time, but afterwards... yeah."

Luke came in, probably looking for Conan. He seemed relieved.

"I have good news." Luke said. "Luckily Conan isn't going to spend time in jail."

Conan turned to Luke and June paid attention. "You broke Scott's nose, some of his teeth and you lacerated his face."

Conan raised his eyebrows, he had really foggy memories of that day.

"Turns out your friend Scott Walker tried to do that with many girls over the years... and the police believed us, based on multiple accusations. They believe you acted in self defense and on June's behalf."

Luke sighed and continued. "We believe he would've..."

"Luke, Luke." June raised her hand. "I get it."

Luke nodded. "I apologize. It's all okay now. He's gonna be treated and he's gonna go to jail. No money from Mr. Walker will save him this time."

June gestured to him. Luke came and gave her a hug. She patted his back.

"You're a good friend. Thanks."

Luke turned to Conan. "How's your hand doing?"

"Better." Conan smiled.

Luke raised his eyebrows and patted his brother on the back. "Don't do that again."

Conan's eyes widened. "I know."

"If you don't mind, I'm gonna meet with Molly in a few minutes." Luke said. "Are you guys alright?"

June nodded. "Yes."

"As much as you're family, you really need to get another lawyer. Mom and I are out." he concluded.

All three laughed.

-

    After a few weeks, June left the hospital. She felt fine and she had no last longing damage. Conan's hand was almost completely healed. He had tiny scars, a surprising outcome for someone who broke four fingers, especially by punching a sidewalk. June was healthy enough to attend her own commencement, fortunately. Her hair was growing reaching the middle of her neck at this point. Her bald spot, that was shaved to patch her head up, was now grown, not as long as her hair, but she could hide it well.