Chapter Fourteen

"Is this true?" the Count asked.

"Yes. And even if I'm wrong, and I really hope I am, you'll be prepared for the worst," Medea was finally warm and dry again after sitting close to the fire with a huge blanket wrapped around her.

"So, this Lionheart you're talking about..."

"As I said, I can't promise it's her you will meet, but most likely. The Elders adore her".

"So, why is this so important then?" The General pointed out.

"Believe me, it is. Lionheart is one of the best soldiers I've ever seen, and she's a good politician too. You really need to read that letter."

"We will, but you have been talking nonstop since you got here. A little peace and quiet please," it seemed like this whole situation annoyed Adela. Which it indeed did, but he couldn't tell right away

"Yeah, I'll be..."

"Quiet?" the General gave Medea a look that made her pull the blanket tighter while the General unpicked the letter. She hawked and started to read.

"To Lord Gimlon of Risus Fort. We are glad to invite you and they thine to a three days banquette at the end of summertime, to celebrate the year's harvest...bla bla bla, they're so grateful, bla bla bla, things about our numbers...we'll wait for your response, signed Lady Neilina Lionheart and Lady Emilia Irritan."

"Oh, gods" Medea moaned. "Emilia..."

"Your former girlfriend?"

"No, a hypocritical pain in everyone's ass" she murmured. "How could they...?"

"What should we do?" the Count asked.

"It's actually just a party invitation," Antonius said. "We can decline it."

"And been seen as impolite?" Adela looked at him. "Never!"

"We'll answer, of course," The General said.

"Why, we don't know them."

"We have someone that knew them, and that is to our advantage. If this Lionheart turns out to be some kind of threat..."

He scratched his head. This was the last thing he needed right now.

"It's marketing day tomorrow," he said high. Everyone got silent. "Which means, I'll take this up again three days from now."

"What the...?!"

It was pointless to shout at him. Gimlon had made up his mind, and nothing in the wide world could make him change it. He stood where he stood, like the mountain itself. His advisors left glum and moody after realizing that, which took most of the evening. But when Medea was about to leave, he gently grabbed her shoulder.

"Thank you" he murmured. "For letting us know."

She just smiled back, like it was nothing. "It was nothing, milord. Happy to help."

When she walked away, he headed back right into another corridor. He needed a big beer now.