Chapter Twentyfour

It was a misty morning when they rode away, of on a week long trip to the castle Aspera Villa, the Elders residence. Gimlon rode at the head of the party, with the Count, Lady Adela and Talroze next to him. After them came the knights, and beyond them Gimlon also brought fifty men plus the soldiers in Lady Adela's and the Count's lifeguards. They walked two and two in groups of ten between the wagons of food, clothes, the tent's they would sleep in, servants and attendants. The General and Antonius formed after troupe, looking after the long train of people. About lunchtime they reached the entrance to the white hills, and the speed slowed down because of the terrain. It was never quiet around the hills. Birdsong, spirits and other creatures brought a constant noise to the scenery. Up in the forest that surrounded them they sometimes saw shadows of creatures living up there.

"Who are does?" Twig whispered.

"They're the natives of this lands," Inelle answered. "The Thearum. They live in clans and pray to the Silvam, forest gods."

"Aren't they kind of savage?"

"They can be," Inelle nodded. "But I've met several of them. They're people, like us. Hard working creatures, sometimes a bit peculiar but mostly nice and adventurous."

"Are you sure they are friendly?"

"Uhm..." Inelle frowned her forehead. "Mostly."

The day wore on and they settled camp close to a river. The mood was good and the evening warm and nice. Nothing big happened, except that Conrad's dinner got stolen by a angry squirrel. The night fall, and they had a plan; they would keep going through the hills, and then hopefully find a way around the Middle Lands and their high customs duty.

When they woke up next morning, it rained. Not much, but it rained and was pretty cold. They packed their things and continued to ride. The rain didn't stop for two days. They found a way around the first gate, but it got too small and they was forced upon the main roads again. After five days of travel, Adam, who had volunteered as a scout, came back with happy news; you could see the castle from the top of a nearby hill. It couldn't be more than a days ride away if they were lucky. It cheered up the mood of soon being there, and after breakfast the broke camp and got going. The castle was huge, at least three times the size of the Fort. And the blue outer wall gave it a kind of uncongenial look.

"I don't know if I like this," Talroze murmured.

"Neither do I," the General answered. "Maybe the witch was doing right in warning us for this."

"Oh don't judge it yet," Gimlon said ironically. "Maybe it's pretty on the inside."