Chapter Twentytwo

When you hear a crash in the Fort the two most usual causes are Nebula and Ray. But this time, none of them had anything to do with the crash at all, because Nebula took a nap when it happened and Ray was busy reorganizing all the letters in the mailman's office. It just seemed unfair that some people got so many letters and some didn't get any at all.

Back to the crash; it was one of the wagons, lining up for the journey. Harold, who drove the wagon, had misjudged the space between the wagons behind him and driven straight into them.

"You can't drive for five-cent Harold!" Conrad gaggled and jumped around the yard.

"Shut up you fucking half monkey!" Harold screamed back while Bruno and Hal tried to fix the wagon problem.

"Get line, both of you!" Gimlon shouted. The General stood next to him, observing.

"I will be glad when this whole business is but a memory," she muttered. "You're still sure about bringing Bruno and Lizzie?"

"For the I-have-lost-count-th time, yes. The boy has gotten really skilled over the summer, even though it's one year left of his training, I think he will do just fine."

"And Lizzie?"

"...Will be dubbed to a knight when she has grown a half meter," he said. "Oh, come on, I can't have a pixie as a knight. It's just...no. It's better this way."

The General gave him a look but remained silenced. Owena came up to them and made the honor symbol.

"Sir, milord, we will be ready to leave two days from now," she said formally.

"Good soldier," Gimlon said. "Dismissed". Owena bowed and turned around. "Or, wait! Tell Miss Penny and the witch that I want to see them after dinner tonight."

"Of course, sir," she bowed again and was on her way.

"Are you in need of my assistance any longer?"

"No, do what you need General," the General had already started to walk and would probably not had listened to any other answer anyway. Meanwhile, Bruno and Hal had fixed the wagons and Harold sat up to started to drive again, and immediately caused the day's second crash by driving right into his own stall.

§

The day's third crash was caused by Penny, by dropping all the glass she held in because of a slight heart attack.

"So, the lord..."

"The Lord wants to see after dinner, tonight," Owena said tiredly for the third time.

"Why?"

"Oh, gods what have you done now?" Twig grinned. "Is she going to be beheaded?"

"I don't know what the lord wants, I'm just the messenger. Can you promise me you have understood this and will be there tonight?"

Penny nodded faintly. Owena breathed heavily and got going. Twig grinned.

"Maybe he wants to sleep with you."

"Eww!"

"Who slept with who?" Nebula showed up with burning eyes. Twig smirked and looked at Penny. Nebula's eyes got narrow when she looked at Penny.

"Penny...are you pregnant?"

"She will be!" Twig shouted. "With Gimlon's bastard!"

"Shut up Twig! What did Owena want Penny?" Penny looked guilty.

"Nebula, I swear I didn't do anything..."

"Penny...!"

"...I didn't do anything!"

"But..."

Penny swallowed. "The Lord wants to see me after dinner."

Nebula stared at her. "You're dead."