Chapter Twentynine

The afternoon was to its end when someone lights a firework to announce the start of the ball. It wasn't a little affair Lady Lionheart had arranged; at least fifty noble ladies and lords attended the ball, together with half-nobles, wealthy merchants, politicians, and military men from different lands. No matter which team you played on, this was going to be an extraordinary night.

The ballroom was placed at the southern end of the palace with a huge terrace and a view over the city lights that were so far below them. It was an easy way to get a pretty view over the ballroom too, because when you entered the room you would find yourself standing on a balcony that reached around the whole room, with two huge stairs going down to the dance floor in front of the entrance. They formed a half-circle, with a stage in the middle, reserved for the band playing music during the dance, but it could also host performances like theater or song.

The lordship from Risus Fort was far from the wealthiest or most famous among the lot, but people couldn't help but look after them when they walked through the corridors to the ballroom. They lined up behind the others that were to get presented for the crowd in the hall.

"Lady Josy Sax of Quat!" the marshal declared. Josy got light applauses and walked down the stairs in her yellow dress.

"Nervous?" Gimlon asked Adela.

"Me? Never," Adela chuckled. "How about you?"

He swallowed. "I will never get used to this," he answered.

"Lord Io Hart of Dryadalis!"

"Are you ready?" the Count whispered. The General smirked next to him.

"I can assure you, Count, I'm gonna give these kids a night they'll never forget."

"Lady Tara and Kamala Lari of Castle Aspera!"

They looked up too late to get a real view of the ladies, but they could see long black hair and two bronze dresses that looked like they came from the east.

"It's us soon."

"Did Talroze find another way in?"

"Yes, through the terrace. Whole honest I think he's happy to not go through this."

"Master Gregory Lu of Hinter Tower!"

"So, here we go."

"Lord Gimlon Shieldgold of Risus Fort!"

"Count Reirdak Honorcloak of Risus Fort!"

"Lady Adela Seur of Dryadalis!"

"General Debes of Risus Fort!"

They got remarkable applauses when they walked down the stairs, Gimlon first, Adela next to the Count and the General last. People stopped and looked up at them, and then started to whisper to the person next to them. Gimlon's figure and dwarfish uniform in bright red was such a contrast to Adela's sophisticated emerald green dress, and next to the Count, relaxed in his blue suit, she was easily one of the most beautiful women at the ball. The General was the most rebellious in her fitted jacket with the medals shining over her breast. She also wore high heeled boots and her eye patch had been decorated with onyx and emeralds. Now it didn't matter if they were the richest or not; when they walked down, all with a little grin on their lips, you knew you would remember them. They made sure of it.

When they had gotten down to the ballroom, and talked their way from the first curios guests, they gathered up and was joined by Talroze, tonight in blazer and cravat.

"I wish the Fort could have seen that," he smiled.

"I'm glad I got down in one piece," Gimlon muttered. Adela rolled her eyes.