Chapter Thirtyfour

Penny's performance lifted the Fort's lordship to a new level, and, thanks to the Generals charisma, got them a place almost at the head table later that evening. They had a nice evening but felt restless and when they went to bed that night, it was a statement; they were bored. So, as a consequence, Gimlon ordered the knights would gather in the training pit in the morning to see if all the food had made them slow.

"If someone's slow it will be him," muttered Hal. But the knights weren't too mad over the training; it got them away from much staring up in the castle.

They heard the sounds of swords and the voices before they saw the training grounds were occupied.

"Are you kidding me?!

"It's the Rhino and Weasel and Woodhead," some of the knights and guards in Lionheart's forces had already gotten nicknames. Which meant, the stupidest and loudest had gotten nicknames.

"Did Gimlon know about this?"

"This won't be pretty..."

"No. Not for them," Lizzie's gaze was like steel. They stared at her and she grinned. "Let's show 'em shall we?"

§

"Higher up Mero!" he laughed as Mero danced away from his opponent's black blades. The other men surrounding the pit also laughed, betting and making up who they wanted to challenge.

"Come on, move it!" they shouted.

"He's doing fine isn't he?" Jasper said.

"Yes he is," he said. A cheer erupted and Mero finally overthrew his opponent. They gave him a round of applause and Mero reached out a hand to help his friend up.

"Nice act," they looked up and saw a group of people walk in in the pit. He recognized them as Lord Gimlon's knight's, mostly because of the centaur Talroze.

"How are you doing ladies?" the smirking man in the middle asked with crossed arms.

"What are you doing here?" Jasper asked.

"Seeking something to do, that's all," Talroze smiled friendly, but his eyes told another tale.

"Attention! You should have stayed put as I ordered you to!" Gimlon came marching, dressed in chainmail and with three axes; one battle-ax and two hand axes. His grim look changed when he saw they had company, of mostly young (and handsome) men.

"Well, maybe I shouldn't be too hard on you," he grinned. "What do you say, Captain Wood? Your men against my knights?"

"Don't seem really fair, milord" Jasper cut in. "To your advance, I mean. We are twice as many if you haven't noticed."

The men chuckled and Aeric's eyes got dark.

"Of my brief experience, it's diplomats who start wars and warriors that fight them."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"That you maybe know the tactics of battle, but would be dead if you ever set a foot on the field. So shut your mouth about things greater people are doing for you..."

"It seems your knight's needs to learn some respect, master dwarf," one of the soldiers said. A short and kind of fat one.

"And you should address me with milord!" growled Gimlon. "And them with sir!"

"Oh, I'm sorry, milord," the soldier smirked, "And you...sir."

The men laughed and chuckled and even though Jasper and Howard did their best to keep a straight face, they could see the laughter in their eyes.

"Order!" Jasper said to quiet the men. "We accept the challenge, milord..."

"I challenge the Captain not you, silkpants. One and one combat, most won fights win. Understood?"

The men's look darkened as Howard nodded in acceptance. Jasper walked out of the pit slowly and calm, without taking his eyes from the knights.

"Do you mind if I sit this one out? I'm afraid this arena is a bit too small for me," Talroze said.

"Who'll take your place then?"

"I will," Antonius said. He had shown up behind them and slid up next to Hal, holding a fighting rod.

"And he won't play any tricks on us? No magic?" the same soldier asked and also did faltering hand movements.

"Just if you promise the same," Antonius smiled again. "Clean game."

The must went out of him and he took a step back to the rest of the soldiers. Howard took up a coin.

"Do you mind if we toss a coin about who'll start? The turn goes over to the other one next fight."

"Not at all. Heads or tails?"

"Tails."

"Go on then," Gimlon smirked. Howard tossed, the coin flew up and landed, showing...

"Tails. Jaq, you're up first". The man Mero had fought when they walked into the pit now rose.

"I choose him," he pointed at Hal. "Want to go around, huh? Are you ready?"

"Gladly," Hal rose and they took place. Jaq was short and quick, with two swords that he wielded faster than he jumped.

"Three hits and you're down. Go!"

Jaq attacked quickly as a cobra, both his sword up and out...leaving his chest wide open. In one elegant move, Hal had moved forward, hit him hard in the chest, and taken place behind Jaq, ready for a new attack.

Jaq stumbled and heard some laughs, looking around for his opponent. Furiously he attacked again, but Hal turned right, hitting him twice in the leg, and therefore won the match. Jaq ended up in the dirt, dusty and coughing.

"Pleasure doing business with you" Hal nodded, slid down the sword, and walked out, grinning.

"Excellent Hal!" Gimlon punched his back. "Aeric, are you in the mood?"

"Always," Aeric stood up. "You, gasbag!"

"Manners!"

"Well I don't know his name," he looked at the chatterbox to soldier. He smiled falsely.

"I really, really want to, but, uhm, my leg is stretched so, I have to turn the offer down," he shrugged. "My apologies."

"I'll take your place, chum," Woodhead stepped forward and patted Gasbag's shoulder. Gasbag grinned and nodded thank you.

The fighters took place in the ring. Some laughed. As a half-elf, Aeric was slim and graceful. Woodhead was a mountain of muscles and almost two heads taller than his opponent.

"Ready...go!"

Woodhead burst on like an angry bear. Aeric waited on him, then handled so quickly that even Gimlon got kind of scared. He jumped up, drove a dagger in Woodhead's shoulder, and then, like a monkey, turned around and got hanging from the shoulders, giving his thighs a round with the other dagger. Woodhead waved his arms around and did everything to get Aeric down from his shoulders. It's was impressive that he still stood up, even though he faltered around.

He did manage to pull Aeric down and the fall took his breath away. It looked like he was going down when Woodhead punched him across the face, but he kicked away the next hit and, as it wasn't enough that he probably had disjointed Woodhead's hit arm, kneeled him in the crotch.

The knight's cheered but the soldiers heard an angry murmuring as they dragged a groaning Woodhead out of the pit.

"Well, let's go on. Who's next?"