Chapter Two

"Why are you sitting out here, Johnny?" Camille asked as she could smell the sweet smell of his cologne. It was late at night and she was wearing only her cotton nightgown, her cane gently tapping on the steps as she slowly sat down next to him. Camille had been startled by the roar of his motorcycle engine, everyone else sleeping soundly which she was grateful for since the reverend mother had warned her about him.

"Couldn't sleep." He said as he noticed her hair was billowing around her shoulders, his pulse quickening as he couldn't believe how beautiful she looked in the bright moonlight. "I'm sorry I woke you." He said as he puffed on his cigarette, his mind racing as he thought about the events of the night.

They had been attacked while making a night run, their product stolen and one of his brothers shot in the shoulder. Normally after a life or death situation, Coco would find some skank and fuck her till sunrise, but the only thing he thought when a gun was held to his head was Camille.

"Your heart is racing, and you're breathing heavily. What happened Johnny?"

"It isn't fair that you can read me like that, I have no secrets when I am with you." He said he stamped out his smoke, his hand waving the air as he knew the smell annoyed Camille. He knew he needed to quit smoking but each time he tried he always failed.

"Are a man who needs secrets?" She asked as she rested her hand on his arm, Coco always shivering under her touch, his nervousness rising anytime she was near him. Camille was able to awaken something in him that he had never felt before; a sense of love and warmth.

"Yes. I need them to survive." He admitted as he knew no one, even his best friend knew the real him, except Camille.

"May I?" She asked as she held up her hands, Coco gently taking her by the wrists and placing her hands on her face, his eyes closing as her fingers slowly tracing over his face. "You are so stern; Johnny and your eyes are heavy and full of sadness. Are you sure you don't want to talk about anything?" She asked as she pulled her hand back, Camille not liking that she couldn't see his shape since it brought her a sense of calmness.

"I had a gun held to my head tonight, and I was sure they were gonna pull the trigger." He admitted as Camille gasped, her hand going to her mouth as her stomach sank. She had come to love her friendship with Johnny and the thought of losing him made her heart fill with dread and despair.

"Are you alright? She asked as her hand rested on his shoulder, goosebumps rising on Coco's skin as her fingers grazed his neck. He wanted to lean in and kiss her lips, but he knew that if he did it would ruin their friendship and he couldn't handle losing her.

"I'm good now, I just had to see you." He said, his words making her cheeks flush as she wasn't used to being spoken to in such a way, her body feeling a chill as she could feel his gaze on her. Camille wasn't used to having a friend or someone to talk to, but now that she had Johnny in her life she feared losing him.

"May I show you something?" She asked as she stood and held her hand out for him, Coco taking her hand as he allowed her to lead him around the large convent, to a small barn, the smell of clay hitting his nostrils as they walked inside and he flipped on a light.

"Shit, you made all this?" He asked as he noticed the beautifully sculpted pots and large sculptures. "Is this a rose?" He asked as he looked a perfectly sculpted rose sitting on a shelve, every curve almost perfect.

"Thank you." She blushed as she felt around for a sheet, her hand finally gripping it as she pulled it off her latest creation. "This—is how I see you. Did I do okay?" She asked as Coco turned to see a large lifelike sculpture of his face, his mouth dropping open as he couldn't believe how lifelike it seemed.