One: Try Calling Next Time

I wasn't waving anymore. I was fighting back the tears.

I stood alone at the glass wall between me and my best friend and her family in that plane. After watching it take off, I still watched it until it was out of sight. Then I gave in.

I crashed to the ground, pushed my back against the glass, pulled my knees up to my chest and wept. And wept and wept.

I didn't care about the countless people watching a grown seventeen year old girl burst into tears like a toddler. A few of them walked over to try and cheer me up. But I just ignored them. An old Asian man with his cute granddaughter, a young British couple, a cleaner, even a pug on a leish tried to lick away my tears. I have to admit that the dog did work for a few minutes.

Finally, after about four hours on that floor, airport security had to 'escort ' me from the premises. I panicked when I found out what time it was. Great, now how am I gonna catch a bus home.

My name is Keia Stratuson. I am the most worthless being on the planet.

At 23:09, I arrived at the my apartment. It was downtown. Half way across the city from the airport. My grandmother left it to me, along with 24million dollars in my bank account. You see, I was ten years old when my mother and father died in a fire in the hospital they worked in.

Ever since, I lived with my grandma in her little house back in Orane Heights. She taught me everything. She took me to school everyday by working late hours as a nurse, cleaner and Nanny. She made sure I continued my education at North Wilkin Academy. She made sure I didn't at the streets of the hood get to me.

But then he found me.

Granmama was killed when I was 15. Ever since, I lived in an apartment block owned by Quinzel's, my best friend, family. The rent for me was 75% cheaper than its worth because they claimed that I was like a daughter to them. Also, Granmama, knowing what was coming, asked them to take care of me. Now they were gone.

My second family was on their way to Australia because of a business proposal.

I was now alone.

Sure, the rent was the same but the new landlord was an arse. Mr Brown was an uptight, short and deep voiced Mexican you wouldn't want to mess with. That night I got home and found him on my sofa helping himself to one of my cans of Red Bull.

"Ah, Keia. Glad you could finally make it."

This is my apartment, he knows that right?

"Mr Brown?" I said. I sat on the opposite beanbag , trying to avoid his cigarette breath.

"Now, I just wanted to come over to set some rules, but I found that you weren't here. So I let myself in," he said.

He looked around with a smirk. I felt insecure. The main room had one plum coloured leather sofa, two dark green plump beanbags, an old dark wood coffee table that was Grandpere's, and a 32 inch flat screen I won at a raffle the other year. I was so happy. But every now and then, I see how...budget the room may look.

"Nice place, sweetie, no need to look lost." He said, bringing me back from my reverie. He could be nice when he wanted to.

But no-one calls me sweetie.

In the main room, to the left from the door, was a wooden short staircase that led to a balcony bedroom. I could only afford a double bed, a nightstand and a dressing table/desk. On the right was an opening to a short hall. On the left was a kitchenette, with an electric stove, double door fridge, and island with a sink and two black tall stools to match the black and red theme. On the right was the only room with a door, the bathroom. It only had a shower and toilet.

It was quite small but hey, I live alone so what do I need space for?

"Now, I had a look around, if you don't mind," he said. I opened my mouth to speak but he cut in, "-of course you don't." With authority .

"So you don't have any pets?" It was a question but it sounded like a statement. I was a seventeen year old student who also worked in a hotel as a maid and a waitress. When I wasn't at school or working, I was at home studying with Quinn.

Oh no. Who would talk to now Quinn was gone?

In a nutshell, I had no time or money for pets.

"No, sir."
"Good, but just so you know, pets won't be allowed," he said.
I nodded.

"And if I may ask, how are paying your rent?"
" I work at Templeton Hotel as a maid and waitress on the weekend, sir. In a weekend, I make $300. "
"That's a hard working girl," he said with great enthusiasm. He lit a cigar and sat back further. "I see I have a good tenant."

" Yes,sir. " I almost smiled at him, but that would mean I was submitting.

He stood up and made to leave.

"Just one more thing, I don't want to many visitors in my building." He looked dead serious. Unlike his laugh before. "So no funny business with your high school pals."

Little did he know that I most likely will be alone for the rest of my time here.

"Yes, Mr Brown."

He opened the door and took the spare key out of his pocket and flashed it at me.

"And Keia," he said. " Don't make me ever have to use this again. "

He was scary when he was serious, but I could be fierce too.

"So try calling next time," I said through my teeth and shut the door in his face, locked it then triple latched it.

°°°°°°°°°
If you like Australia, Red Bull or cigarettes, VOTE. COMMENT on which you like and why.

See you!
-Mallie🙂