Chapter 9

Since two days after the Yule Ball, Severus has noticed Clair acting funny. She'd been avoiding and ignoring him for a whole week. It was like looking in a mirror at the way he'd treated her prior their relations. He didn't know what to do. He knew one of her best friends was dating one of his best friends. Maybe he could ask Maxine what was up with his lover, he had to make sure Mulciber was with her though so he'd at least have a little bit of backup incase the blonde wanted to withhold answers. So there he was, marching up to them, crossing his arms as he stood in front of the pair. The normal scowl on his face was replaced with a frown.
"What's wrong with Clair...?", he asked trying not to sound pathetic but it was so hard, he was just so upset and confused. His lovers friend shot him a glare and tapped her foot.
"I heard that Sirius Black told her that she was just your rebound since Lily rejected you. Shame on you honestly if you did that, Clair is probably the nicest person I know.", Maxine finished with a scoff, glancing over to Mulciber.
"He said fucking WHAT?!", Severus nearly screamed and before either one could open their mouths he was booking it down the hallway. His friends saying something about her when they were just study buddies was one thing, sure. But this sent him off into a blind rage. Never before had Snape even thought about standing up to his tormentors but now he didn't have any other thought in his head. She was supposed to be someone they took care of. Someone who was their friend and Sirius made her feel like garbage with just a few words. He was completely outraged that it was said and not only that but that she'd believed such a ridiculous accusation. He couldn't blame her though, he'd been infatuated with Lily for so long but soon after their friendship fell apart he'd realized they'd really had almost nothing in common. But Clair, she was the sweetest girl. She was so kind to him even when he pushed her away and built up his walls. She didn't even shy away at his dark mark, she bloody apologized for not being there enough for him. His thoughts were interrupted with finding exactly who he was looking for, the Marauders and more specifically, Sirius Black. Before he could even think about what to do, he rushed up to the group, slamming Sirius into the wall, gripping him by his uniform. Severus didn't know he had this strength in him but now was not the time to think about that. He was currently scowling hard in Sirius' face.
"How DARE you?! Why would you say that she was a rebound to me?! You're supposed to be her FRIEND!!! I BLOODY LOVE HER AND YOU MADE HER THINK I THOUGHT SHE WAS TRASH!", Severus was basically screaming in the boys face. The Marauders were shocked to say the least. This boy they'd tormented for as long as they could remember was standing up to them, not even for himself but for a girl. Before Sirius could lash out at the Slytherin. The subject of their chat came around the corner. Her eyes wide one she saw the scene in front of her. Severus was lifting Sirius off the fucking ground.
"What's going on here.....?", she said so softly, if the boys hadn't been so quiet from shock, they probably wouldn't have heard her. The boys stopped and turned to her. Severus slowly letting Sirius down off the wall and out of his grasp.
"I could hear you down the hallway...", she slowly approached the group. Clair was in absolute shock still, she'd heard him yell to the whole school that he loved her but it wasn't the time to bring that up.
"I....I just didn't want you to feel like you were second best.....", Severus said softly as he approached the girl and grabbed her hands in his before continuing "I adore you and yes I had a time of weakness for Lily but you're my future....and I love you! Merlin, I body-slammed Sirius Black for you...", he finished with a small chuckle. By the end of his little rant, Clair was just about in tears. It was probably the most words he'd ever said all at once and it was all to tell her about how much she meant to him. She dropped his hands and enveloped him into a tight hug.
"I love you too, dunderhead....", she sniffled against his shoulder. The Marauders hated this boy but they'd never seen their friend happier, and she was a ray of fucking sunshine. Maybe they could learn to tolerate the boy, just for the sake of their friend. Sirius smirked, he didn't mind that the lanky boy slammed him into the wall. He just wanted their relationship to be out and open. Of course he despised the boy probably the most out of all the Marauders but if a greasy dungeon bat made her happy, then he would do what he could to help.