Chapter 17

"I'm gonna do it girls" Ruby announces as we all sit down at lunchtime.

Lexi, Cindy, Kailee, Ethan and I all look at her. Eli was at the library printing off his assignment for 5th period.

I felt a pang in my chest and sudden wave of guilt.

"D-do what?" I stutter.

"I'm going to tell Eli how I fell and its ok if he doesn't like me back nothing will be awkward right?"

"Right" Kailee smiles.

I keep my head down and pick at my sandwich. I look back up to see Ruby gone. Shit.

"I can't do this, I have to go"

"Whats wrong?" Lexi asks.

"Ruby, she is going to be crushed and I need to be there for her when he says no"

"You mean? -"

"Yes and I feel so bad you won't believe it"

I watch the group give each other weird glances especially Ethan.

"I'll be right back"

I get up and search the school grounds. I stop when I finally see Eli and Ruby talking, her back facing me and her fingers behind her back were crossed. I hid behind the wall and before you start I know its wrong to eavesdropped but I couldn't help it.

"That's good, well there was actually something that I wanted to ask in particular" Ruby sates.

"Whats that?" Eli asks with a questioning glance.

"Well we're good friends right?"

"Of course"

"And you would still like me even if something awkward happened?"

"Yes, Rubz what's going on?"

"Well, I have been meaning to tell you this for a while actually and uhh the girls supported me and told me if it was meant to happen it would and I mean I was willing to tell you its just I couldn't and now-"

"Ruby" Eli laughed taking a grip on her shoulders "Just tell me"

"I-I like you" She whispers "A lot"

There it was.

The sting stung more than I thought. She has no idea what is coming next.

I watch him as his hands slide down from her shoulders and fall by his side.

"Oh . . ." He chokes out "Ruby I care about you . . . a lot . . . your my best friend and if anything in the world happened to you I would stand by your side"

"But you don't feel the same way I do" She finises off his sentence.

He shakes his head "Rubz if any guy crushed your heart I would pound em', I just think my role in life is better if I stick to the sidelines"

She nods and looks at the ground, a single tear falling down her cheek.

"Come here" He pulls her into a hug and stands to the side of the hall, gripping onto her as she cries. Now that is true friendship.

"I'm sorry" He whispers in the crook of her neck.

As they turn the corner I hear her giggle something along the lines of "I'm just glad I haven't made things awkward"

I wander back to my group smiling. As I sat down I got questioning glances and explained what had happened to them.