Chapter 17 "Drink a Beer" Luke Bryan

Chapter 17

“Drink a Beer” Luke Bryan

I watch Thomas drive away on him motorcycle. I love that he rides motorcycles and wears leather jackets. He looks so hot. I love how he seems like such a bad boy, but I’ve never met a nicer or sweeter guy. My daze left Thomas as my phone buzz in my pocket. I look at it. It’s Mom calling. I press the answer button and begin to talk, but Mom interupts me.

“Maddy!” I hear her cry. I can’t speak from the sudden change in feeling and thought. I freeze.

“Yes?” I stutter before my Mom continues.  

“Maddy! Luke, he was in a horrible car accident! He’s in the hospital, you better get over here fast!” my Mom cries out. I don’t know what to say, luckily Mom hangs up before I can get in a word. I grab my purse, one of Thomas’ sweatshirts, and a couple of other things, before sprinting out of the house. I call Thomas as I get into Thomas’ car, he doesn’t use. I feel tears stream down my face, I didn’t even know I was crying until then. Knowing I’m crying makes me cry harder. I get into the front seat as I hear the repeated sound of ringing from the phone. Finally Thomas picks up.

“Maddy’s everything okay?” he asks. Wow he’s good. He knows I’m upset without me saying a word.

“No, I’ll tell you later. Just hurry up and get to the airport. As soon as possible!” I yell/cry into the phone. Then I hang up and speed to the airport.

On my way to the airport, I get a call from Thomas. I answer it knowing he’s probably more freaked out than me.

“Love! What’s going on?” he asks sounding very concerned.

“Luke, he was in a car accident. He’s in the hospital! I gotta get back! And yes I’m driving, why?” I cry, so upset.

“Love,” he says gently “I’ll call to get tickets for the next flight to Wisconsin,” he tells me. I try to smile. I’m so glad I have Thomas.

I reach the airport in record time. I jog to the entrance of the airport. I see Thomas at one of the counters. I throw my arms around his neck from behind and cry into his neck. He turns towards me, ignoring the lady on the other side of the counter, trying to ask him questions. He holds me tighter than he’s ever held me before. I cry harder.

We get onto a plane and I’m shaking. I’m so scared. I’m so nervous. What if I never see him again? What if I don’t get to say goodbye? I close my eyes, letting tears squeeze out from under my eyelids and roll down my cheeks. Then I feel Thomas’ muscular hand wipe them all away and I open my eyes as he kisses me softly. Then he wraps his long arms around me.

“Love…” he begins, pulling away from me to see my face. As he sees me he knows, I just want him to hold me.

We finally land in Wisconsin. It’s a 30 minute drive to my house and the hospital Luke is at, so Thomas drives fast. I grip my phone with my right hand as my left is intertwined with Thomas’ hand. I hold his hand so tight, my knuckles turn white. I release my grip a bit, noticing it must hurt Thomas.

I walk in the front door of the hospital. I rush to the front desk and ask which room my brother is in. The man behind the desk tells me 3rd floor, room 314. I grab Thomas’ hand and we stride towards the elevators. I jab the button with my pointer finger. Thomas puts his hand on my shoulder and whispers in my ear

“Maddy, it’ll be okay. Just try and relax a bit. We are here, now you can see him,” I realize he’s right. I get to see Luke now. But who knows if it will be okay. I just nod.

We make it to the 3rd floor, where I see my family standing outside Luke’s room. I let go of Thomas’ hand and scurry over to my Mom, who is crying in her hands. I hug her and ask if I can see Luke. She nods and slightly smiles at Thomas. He smiles back, trying a little harder, than she did.

I walk into Luke’s room and I don’t see Luke, I see a crippled, scarred, bruised, man who, I only hope, isn’t my brother. But it is. I inch closer to him. His eyes are closed. I wonder if he has opened them at all. I hold my breath as I get closer to him. I’m so scared, so nervous. Why? He’s my brother! I realize this and release my breath. I sit on the chair to the left of his bed and put my hand on top of hims. A tear falls down my cheek and lands on Luke’s hand. I watch as his lifeless body lay on this hospital bed.

“I love you, Luke,” I confess, even though he knows I do, I don’t ever remember telling him. But I do. He’s my big brother. I have and will always love him. His hand twitches a bit and I think he’s about to wake up, but instead I hear a long, loud BBBBBEEEEEAAAAPPPP. I start crying. I know what this sound means. My brother, Luke, is dead. I kiss his lifeless hand. And walk out of the room, crying like mad. Thomas wrap his arms around, like he always does. Except this time I push him away. I don’t want Thomas right now. I want my family. I want my brother. I want Luke! He looks hurt as I push away. I go over to my family as they cry in a big circle of hugging people. Mom is hugging and crying on Dad. Landon is holding his girlfriend. Sara went over by Thomas, she must have seen his hurt face. Before she could talk to him, I grab her arm and hold her close to me. She cries on my shoulder and I cry on her’s. Thomas again looks hurt, as he sees I’d rather cry on my sister’s shoulder than his.

After that everything was a blur. The next couple days were funeral planning, crying, and hugging. I hated every minute. Luke would have too. He would have walked outside, in the 20 degree weather, and sat outside. He probably would shed a few tears, if it was his own brother, but no it’s him. So instead, I do what I think he would do. I go sit outside in the 20 degree weather. Then Thomas walks outside. He draps his leather jacket over my shoulders. I shrug it off.

“I’m fine, Thomas,” I say rudely. He again looks hurt. Why am I doing this to him? Why am I mad at him? I try to figure it out, but all I keep thinking about is Luke. “I’m sorry Thomas. It’s just I want to be alone for a while,” I admit. He nods and goes back inside. I feel bad for saying it, but it’s the truth. I don’t want him around right now. I look down at my left hand, specifically my ring finger. I pull off the ring. I can’t do this right now. I tell myself. I walk back inside and see Thomas sitting with Sara on the couch. She’s crying on his shoulder and he’s stroking her hair. I go over to Thomas and say

“Can we talk, in private,” he nods and looks at Sara. She has lifted her head off his shoulder and nodded back to him. He gives her a kiss on her forehead and walks with me to my old room. I shut the door behind us and hold out his ring to him.

“I can’t do this right now,” I blurt. He looks stunned. I see tears churning in his eyes. I try to keep it together. “I’m sorry, Thomas, but I need a break. I want you to go back to London. And I’ll call you soon, okay?” I say as quickly as I can without cracking my quivering voice. Thomas sheds a couple tears, then takes the ring out of my hand and places back on my finger.

“Keep it until you know for sure,Love,” he tells me before kissing my forehead and walking out of the room. Putting on his coat, saying goodbye, and leaving in our rental car from the airport. I look down at my hand. And repeat his words in my head over and over, like a broken record.

Keep it until you know for sure, Love

Writers Note: I would really appreciate it if people would comment on my story, so I know if people are liking it or not. That would be great! Thanks!