Chapter 12

That night you tossed and turned in bed, thinking about your options for the situation you found yourself in. You got up and walked to the window to open it and let a little cold air in to help you think. You decided not to overwhelm yourself as you don't know for certain whether you were pregnant or not. Yes, you were a bit late, but nothing that you thought was a reason for concern. You couldn't go to the gyno in town because, well, words travel fast, and to be discreet you would go to London - the only thing is Tommy will get suspicious as to why you have to go there so you decided to tell your sister the news and ask her to come with you. The morning came fast and you haven't slept one bit so you slapped on a bit of makeup to make you look fresh and awake, even though anyone who looked at you for longer than 2 seconds would've seen the sweat and undereye circles on your face. You went to work and thank God Tommy wasn't in the office so you sat at your desk and started going through some papers Tommy left for you. When you saw that no one was around, you reached for the phone to call your sister. Your hands were shaking a bit and the ringing took forever but then you heard a familiar voice. Arthur.
„Hello?" Arthur said on the phone. It took you by surprise.
„Hello, can I speak to Sarah?" you said quietly and you could hear Arthur shouting Sarah's name and footsteps coming to the phone.
„Yes?" Sarah said, not knowing it was me on the phone.
„Sarah, it's me. I need you to come to London today with me. Don't ask anything I will explain... but don't tell Arthur." You said in almost one breath.
„Okay (Y/N)... Are you okay?" Sarah said in a concerned voice.
„Yes, yes I'm fine. Just make something up for Arthur." You said, whispering into the phone before continuing: „Meet me here at the office, 3 o'clock. Thank you Sarah. I have to go now."
You quickly put the phone down and continued rustling through papers, not really paying attention to the words but reading anyway. You could see Polly leaning on the door looking straight at you with a cigarette in her hands, but you just decided to ignore her and get back to work.

After work you stepped outside, hopping from one feet to the other while waiting in the cold. You could see Tommy approaching you and for a second your worries left your mind as he came close and hugged you to keep you warm.
„What are you doing outside? You are freezing!" Tommy said while rubbing your upper arms to warm you up.
„Oh just waiting on Sarah.." you said, trying to keep eye contact.
„So, what are you girls up to?" Tommy asked, holding your chin up with one hand and squinting his eyes in suspicion. Before you could answer anything, Sarah came behind his back.
„We are going dress shopping, if you really want to know. And no better boutique than Miss Mary's in Camden Town." Sarah said with a smile and put her hands on Tommy's shoulders which made him back away from you.
„Okay then, have fun and I will see you later." Tommy said and gave a little kiss on your red cheek.
You were relieved you didn't have to make up a lie at the spot because he would've seen right through you. As Tommy left, you and Sarah walked over to the train station in silence. Once you came to your platform, your eyes filled with tears. Sarah noticed right away and held your head in her hands while wiping away the tears with her thumbs.
„(Y/N) you are scaring me! What's wrong, why are we going to London?" Sarah finally asked.
„Sarah... I think I'm pregnant..." you said, waiting for a response from your sister. She started hugging you and screeching with happiness as she tried picking you up and twirling you around but couldn't. You laughed at the attempt but was still bawling your eyes out.
„This is great news!! I am going to be an aunt! My little sister pregnant..." Sarah said while looking wistful.
„I don't know yet, that's why we are going to London to see a doctor. And you have to promise whatever happens, you will tell no one, okay?" you said, holding a finger firmly in front of her face.
„Okay, tough shot. I won't tell no one, but you have to promise we will still go to Miss Mary's no matter what!" Sarah said through a smile, trying to make you laugh. You smiled and nodded as you saw the train come to the platform.