16 ~ Time

This is happening a little before Luka and Shay meet up

"Nathaniel!" Marc yelled out as he left Luka to go to his class. Marc noticed that Nathaniel has started to, talk less? He didn't know why. After he and Luka walked inside the school he noticed Nathaniel walk straight into class and Marc knew if he himself didn't hurry he'd be late. He bid goodbye to Luka and walked inside his classroom, sitting down beside Nathaniel.

Almost everyone was there all except Juleka and Rose.

"Okay class today will be an important class," Mr. Josh walked in with a book in his hand. He walked around the table, sitting down and leaning back, opening the book.

He stayed quiet for a while which led to Max raising his hand,

"Yes, Max?"

"Why is the class important today?" Max questioned.

Mr. Josh leaned forward in his chair, placing the book on the desk, "good question,"

"I want to bring up a really important issue and see what everyone thinks about the idea," Mr. Josh reached for the book and opened it.

"Police brutality," he announced. Everyone's interest peaked.

"During the years there have been multiple falsely accused, false arrests, and the use of power over the majority of citizens in America," Mr. Josh started, "during the years police brutality has increased, attacking the majority of people of color."

The whole class looked forward, eyes wide.

"My question to you is," Mr. Josh placed the book down, standing up.

"If America is the so-called "free" country, why is this happening? Why are people of color being targeted?"

The class stood quiet for minutes until Chloe raised her hand, "they can't accept change,"

Mr. Josh smiled, "correct," he stated, "but what else?"

Kim raises his hand.

"Yes, Kim?"

"People tend to not like those who are different. They say that the country is free but every one of color can see that nothing is free if there is a wall stopping them from gaining that so-called freedom,"

"Good answer, anyone else?"

Adrien raises his hand.

"Yes, Adrien?"

"What if America isn't really what it is cut out to be?"

Mr. Josh leaned back against his desk, waving for Adrien to continue.

"What I mean is they may say it's free but is it really? If we look at the history of America, it was first inhabited by the Native Americans but then Columbus found it but not without the slaughter of many innocent families: women, and children, killed.

I have learned that America is just filled with nothing but words and speeches. Many will see it as free and fair but those who are different, those who understand what it's like to be different, they can see that it has flaws."

"And what are the flaws?" Mr. Josh asked.

"Yes, Sabrina?"

"The justice system," she stated, "let's say a colored person was falsely accused of a crime they did not commit, the judge would place a longer sentence on them than a regular American. It just shows that people of color will always be treated differently than people who are considered 'white.' Another example, let's take a person who has committed a huge crime and another who has committed a small crime. The man who committed a huge crime may be sentenced to life or years at best. But the person who committed the small crime also maybe be sentenced to life or years in prison, why is that?" Sabrina asked.