Holmgang

Su'a sat in the back of the creaking horse-drawn carriage rolling along a bumpy path. Her arse was sore from traveling for days on end. Every stone in the road seemed a mountain and every divot a valley. She grew weary as the cart trudged along with them packed chockablock in the rear. Wolfgard hadn't been gone a week when one of his men came to fetch her. She, Somerhild, and some of the other thralls were to be taken to Durham. Though she was glad to be rid of him, it was strange even uncomfortable sleeping alone.

They passed through the wilderness of Northumbria, to the home of King Thorod. Where Wolfgard awaited, so they could set out for an encampment further south. His fyrd had been raised with hundreds of men answering the call to arms. Wolfgard was bound for war. Somerhild and Su'a rode alongside scores of men on horseback, more on foot, warriors to the man, with more joining up as they went.

Wolfgard's household guard protected their carriage and Su'a was thankful for it. Men were leering at her with barely concealed desire or gawked rudely. The only thing standing between her and those men was Wolfgard.

She boldly returned their looks with a glare. Her eyes attempting to convey her utter disgust. But her look softened when she thought of Wolfgard's heated gaze. She felt something entirely different when his eyes were on her. A blush crept up her cheeks, her breath caught and her pulse raced. She wondered if this feeling was fear. Sometimes, she felt like she'd catch fire and burn to a cinder when he was near. The briefest look, the lighest touch, were catalysts for a multitude of sensations. Most of which she did not understand.

"What the hell is going on up there?" Somerhild shouted snapping Su'a from her thoughts. Somerhild sat beside her as the cart rolled to a stop. Her brown eyes squinting as they peered ahead. A crowd gathered near the entrance of King Thorod's hall. Men shouted and jeered. No one seemed to notice their arrival. It was a holmgang.

A holmgang was a custom practiced by most Scandinavians. It was a way for them to settle disputes. An area was marked by three borders around a square hide, each about one foot from the previous one. Corners of the outermost border were marked with hazel staves. Combatants were to fight inside these borders. Stepping out of borders meant forfeiture, running away meant cowardice. The combatants were permitted three shields. The challenger would strike first and then the combatants would duel. It would end at first blood or death.

Somerhild leaped from the cart and cleeked Su'a's hand pulling her from her seat. They rushed up the hill and pushed their way through the gathered bodies looking for a familiar face. Somerhild's lit up when she noticed who was within the square. Alrik stood shirtless, his chiseled body gleamed with sweat. He carried a broad sword and shield. Two more were behind him at Wolfgard's feet.

Somerhild clutched Su'a's hand tighter. Her eyes did not leave Alrik as he prepared for battle. The dismayed appearance of Somerhild's features told Su'a that this was serious. She saw Sven carrying a sword and shield. Prince Orm was not far behind him. A diabolical smile curled the corners of his lips. Sven preened and pranced like a wellbred horse. He strode the square with confidence, brandishing a fiendish smile as his eyes followed Su'a. Somerhild's fear suddenly made sense. Alrik could die at Sven's hand.

"Somerhild of Wessex, why do these men fight?" Su'a asked clutching Somerhild's cape, shaking her in the process but the woman was too distracted to answer. When she turned to look at Su'a, her feather brown eyes were glassy with unshed tears. Su'a felt like a terrible friend. She had been so absorbed in her own menial problems that she had not noticed Somerhild's feelings for Alrik. She did not believe it possible for Somerhild to have such tender emotions for one of her captors, given the manner in which she came into their employ.

Seeing Wolfgard ahead, Su'a shoved her way through the crush of Vikings at his side. She felt safe from Sven's lingering gaze in with Wolfgard near. His blue-gray eyes seemed to smile when they fell on her. Though his mouth did not convey the same sentiment.