The Stalwartness of Marigold

In the forest not far from Brunhild's cottage, Wolfgard, his cousins and a handful of their men found Su'a and the others. They were huddled in the dark frightened by every sound. Hypervigilant and prepared with purpose for the enemy's attack. Somerhild ran to Alrik when her eyes fell upon him, pulling him into a tight embrace. Su'a did not wait long to follow suit. She ran and leaped into Wolfgard's waiting arms. Su'a's arms clutched about his neck and her legs in a vice-like grip around his waist.

"I envy you, your welcome, Cousin," Eirik said clapping his large hand on Wolfgard's shoulder. 

Wolfgard pressed his lips to Su'a's, desperately wanting to forget the horrors of the night. She held his hand as he moved silently away from the others. 

"Lord, what's happened? Please won't you tell me?" She asked clutching his hand, her glassy brown eyes searching his own but he remained stoic, unable to speak for the fear of losing control. 

He turned to look at the anxious faces of what remained of his people. He mustered his remaining resolve left to say, "We move at first light. We will make for East Anglia." He touched his hand to the delicate skin of Su'a's face as he stalked off into the trees. He did not rejoin them that night and Su'a's concern for his wellbeing grew. 

When morning dawned, Su'a searched for Wolfgard but could find him nowhere. She sought Somerhild and Alrik who slept huddled together underneath a bed of furs. They looked peaceful and she hated to wake them but they must move lest they be found by Orm's men. 

"Lord. Somerhild," She called gently and they stirred. 

"Marigold, is it time to move?" Alrik asked, his eyes squinting in the early morning sun.

"Yes, Lord but I cannot find the Jarl." She said concern coloring her thoughts. 

Alrik smiled but it lacked mirth, "He is likely at the ridge overlooking the river. It is his favorite place to mope. Ravn's betrayal has cut him very deep." He stood, his face appeared aged and burdened for the first time. He left Somerhild behind on the makeshift bed.

Somerhild turned to look up at Alrik, "Did things go so awry last night?" 

"Not all ventures end in climax," Alrik answered sounding frustrated.

"A fact well known to many women," Somerhild replied with a smirk. Su'a covered a giggle with her hand.

Su'a heard of the events which transpired over the past night. Ravn's duplicity did not come as a surprise to her. She was callous and dishonest. Though, Wolfgard refused to see it. He loved his sister but it would not save her from the retribution she wrought. Wolfgard seemed not only to avoid them but also, the duty for which he was responsible.  It fell to him to avenge the wrongs Orm, Bodil, and Ravn had done.

"I know the path to the ridge well," Su'a answered. 

"Go and you'll find him there. Convince him to return, we must be on our way." Alrik said, wrapping Somerhild in the furs. He readied his bow and arrows in preparation for the hunt. 

"Must it be me, Lord. Should not it be you that speaks with your cousin," Su'a asked in confusion. 

"Wolfgard will take one look at me and want to tear my head off in a blind grief-filled rage. He will handle you with much more care. Ill news always rings better when falling from a woman's sweet lips," He gave an earnest grin before strutting by Eirik's sleeping body and kicking him awake. Eirik rose red-eyed and spoiling for a fight, cursing loudly and illicitly. Somerhild laughed as Su'a blushed. 

"Come, friend," Somerhild looped her arm around Su'a's. "I will accompany you to the Jarl."

As they walked, Somerhild took to advising Su'a. "You must convince him to join with the men of East Anglia and move against Orm and Ravn. This way we secure all the lands to the north under his banner."