18. For Sofi (Part I)

I expected my mom to be upset that I basically up and moved her from her life in LA but as soon as I said we had to move to Italy for work, she screamed.

Literally.

"Mama, shhh!! What the hell," I said to her over the phone. Her and Sofi had caught the earlier flight so they touched down hours before me. They were at the hotel I'd booked already and I was now in a Taxi heading there.

"Yerekha, this is great news! It's a sign. This is meant to be; she was meant to see him," she said excitedly over the phone. I rolled my eyes.

"Okay," I said sarcastically. "Listen, I'm on my way. Please make sure Sofi's asleep. This jet lag is going to be a pain in the ass for her."

She told me Sofi was already fast asleep and we ended the phone call.

I pulled up to the hotel and immediately got flashbacks of the last time I was here. My heart beat violently as I carefully walked into the lobby and towards the front desk. Every stare I got only seemed to increase my anxiety.

I already regret this.

It wouldn't be too late to back out, right? Well, if I wasn't also here for work then, yes, I could just book a flight out right now. I sighed as I checked in and made my way to our room.

Once I arrived, I noticed my mom sleeping with Sofi on one bed. I smiled as I tucked them in, planting a kiss on both their cheeks.

Sofi woke up.

"Mama," she whispered.

"Hey sweetie. Sorry, I didn't mean to wake you. Go back to sleep," I whispered back. I went to pull away and she held on to me, prompting me to squeeze my self in the bed with them.

I held her until she fell asleep again. The moon was getting low, making room for the sun to come in in a few hours. I got out of bed, changed into my pajamas and slept in the other bed to give them some room.

***

I woke up to Sofi giggling wildly and my mom laughing with her. I checked the clock on the nightstand; it was 3pm.

I got out of bed slowly, wiping the sleep from my eyes, before following the giggly sounds to the bathroom.

Sofi was covered in soap suds and it looked as if my mom was making her a crown.

"Mama, look! Yes psak unem," she shouted. I laughed at the sliding crown that my mom was trying to keep steady by adding more suds. (T: I have a crown)

"Good-afternoon, yerekha," said my mom with a smile. She had her hair in a slicked ponytail and her makeup was already done.

"Oh wow," I said when I saw her red lip. "You're really going all out for this."

"Well yes. Hatuk arrit' e," she said as she rinsed off Sofi. (T: It's a special occasion) She let Sofi dry herself.

"You need to get ready soon. It starts at six and it's already half past three," she told me.

I scratched my head with both hands and groaned.

"I can't do this. I might pass out before we even get there." She shook her head and walked over to me and cupped my face.

I looked down at her. "What," I mumbled.

"Yerekha, you're doing this for her. And yes it'll be very hard for you. I know that. But, you always manage to do what you have to do. No matter what it takes. And if this takes you stressing out this much, then it might just be worth it in the end."