28. Gianna Bianchi

My eyes flew open at the noises coming from downstairs. I instinctively reached into my bedside drawer and slowly pulled out my gun.

The clock on the nightstand read 1:04 am as I tiptoed to my door. I pressed my ear against it, waiting for the sound.

*clink*

I grabbed my phone and connected to the cameras. The living room camera revealed a light on in the kitchen. Keeping my gun hidden behind me, I walked out of my room.

I wanted to call out for my mom, thinking it could be her, but I had a feeling that wasn't the case.

I peeked into her room and saw her body rising and falling with every breath. I made sure to check on Sofi before heading down.

The persons shadow was bouncing on the walls of the kitchen, I noticed, when I'd managed to get closer.

A different sound graced my ears when I pressed my back against the wall.

Humming?

The tune sounded familiar, but I couldn't quite put my finger on it. The fridge opened and I heard his voice.

"You can put the gun away and explain to me what half of this shit is."

Is that...

I cocked the gun and rounded the corner aiming at him.

"Cane," I half-asked, half-stated. I didn't know if my mind was playing tricks on me, but the voice was very familiar.

"In the flesh," he replied, reaching in the fridge for something. "An Apple will do I guess," he mumbled. His toned back was still to me so he couldn't see the bewilderment on my face.

"You died," I blurted. "I watched you—." He shut the fridge and turned around, about to bite the apple.

"This is clean right?"

What?

I stared at his bright blue eyes as he awaited my response.

"Y-yes." I began lowering my gun, then remembered the 'dead' man had broken into my house in the middle of the night and raised my gun again, trying to steady my slightly shaky hand.

He rolled his eyes and bit into it.

"Cane," I repeated, eyeing him.

"You two are so alike," he said.

"What," I asked.

"Nothing. Listen, get over it. Yes, I'm alive. Yes, I'm here to get my other round of 'thank you's. Yes—."

"Thank you?"

"You're welcome."

"For what?"

"How do you think you're still here?" He made rowing motions and it dawned on me.

"You saved me? How'd you— I thought you-."

"Were dead? Yeah, yeah." He checked the time on his watch and finished the rest of the apple in two bites. "Listen I don't have much time. So let me catch you up on what Marco and I talked about."

My eyes widened. "Marco knows you're alive."

"Anyways," Cane continued, clearly annoyed by my still shocked reaction. He told me everything from Lucas son Gabriel to his escape from the underground base just a few hours ago.