26. Who?

Cane POV

"That's what that bitch will do to you," I mumbled as I pulled over on the side of the road by the cornfield.

Forty minutes before I'd gotten here, I'd just come in through Zharas backyard. Everyone seemed to be in bed which gave me enough time to set up downstairs. I entered using the sliding glass door and started setting up, placing microscopic voice recorders underneath the couch, behind the TV, and underneath the side table.

I was installing the last downstairs camera by the front door when I saw headlights swerve into the driveway. With only a few more cameras and audio I needed to set up upstairs, I decide to take my chances and climb up. I put two in the hallway before I heard her voice.

"Hel-Ciao."

I slid against the wall to avoid leaving a shadow underneath her door. Carefully, I reached for the knob of the door across from hers and entered the room slowly.

Sofi.

She was sleeping with one of her many dolls that I'd seen her take on grocery trips with Zhara. I shut her bedroom door, Zhara's whispers now muted. All I needed to put in Sofi's room was the audio, which was easy to do because of all the toy bins and shelves.

Her window was slightly open, letting a cold breeze come through. I adjusted her blanket to keep her warm, then walked towards the bedroom door.

The sound of Zhara's door opening came from the hallway and the soft, but quick, pat of her feet faded as she got downstairs. I took the opportunity to head for her room, leaving the door ajar just as she had. I set up the audio and the cameras and tapped her bathroom with audio only. I was about to head to Anahid's room when my curiosity got the best of me.

I crept to the top of the staircase and listened.

"Are you drunk?"

"No."

"How come you're not making sense?"

"What isn't making sense," said a man whose voice I recognized as Marco.

"You not answering my calls. You showing up in the middle of the night. You telling me it's over with Rosalie," Zhara whisper-shouted back. "When you told us to leave on Monday, you clearly did it for other reasons you didn't want to share. What happened?"

"I said I had work to do," Marco responded.

I grimaced, hearing the agitation in his voice.

"So you still don't want to talk about it. Great! So what the fuck do you want? You could've just texted me whatever you had to say," Zhara said back.

They were boring me and I had to head back soon. I ignored their quarrel and went into Anahids room.

I hooked up my earbuds and activated the downstairs audio. Just as a little background noise while I finished up in here.

"You've left so many unanswered questions. What happened with Rosalie? Why are you coming here with a busted eye? Why couldn't you-," Zhara said clearly in my ear.

"Beautiful" I whispered, praising myself for my choice of hiding spots.

"I told Rosalie something and we got into a fight," Marco said.

I froze and listened. Even Zhara was quiet.

"A fight? Like argument," she finally spoke.

"Yes. It got... physical."

"What," I mouthed, while placing the audio recorder underneath Mama Embins bed. She shifted a bit in her sleep, and I froze to ensure she wasn't getting up.