36. Between the Lines

"Simply put: you have to die," said Cane, who raised his hands in mock surrender and laughed. "Just when we think you've really done it, you just one up yourself."

"I'm not even going to ask how or—or when. I—."

"So why'd you just suggest using Matteo to get a hold of Sage instead of your baby daddy," Cane interrupted Marco.

"Probably because Sage would kill her if he knew Gabriel was with her. Sleeping with the enemy. That would be risking his plan," I answered.

"I'm done with you. I'm done with this," Marco spoke, pointing around the room. "We'll come get you tomorrow and you'll take a flight out to go see Matteo. As soon as you get contact with Sage, you let us know."

He went by the door and turned around. "Andiamo."

Rosalie got off the bed and stood, taking not even three steps before Cane pulled her back with an evil smile.

"Oh, I'm sorry. Were you going somewhere?"

"Cane, let me go! I already said I was going to help and I mean it. I don't need to stay here another night. Take me home! I'm not going to run. I have no reason to," she exclaimed.

"You have no reason to? Do you want me to give you one," he snarled. She whined as he pushed her onto the bed , grabbing taut ropes and tying her to the bed with little struggle from Rosalie who seemed to have accepted her defeat.

Her quick redemption initiative was strange to me, but Marco seemed to accept it for what it was according to her: the truth. Maybe she was actually done.

We were back at the base before the sun started setting. Everyone was having dinner and a lively discussion, with Angelo and Sofi whispering to each other over their meal of quiche.

***

"I don't know what to do once I have her," I told Cane and Marco as I paced the room. It was six in the morning and I was suppose to leave for 'work' in 10 minutes to go detain Mariam.

"I can't take her back to my place like Max suggested because Sage does know where I live and bringing her there is just risky."

"But you have no choice," said Marco.

"You could bring her to my place. I'm sure Rosalie wouldn't mind sharing," offered Cane.

"I think you should bring her back to your place anyways. I'll send some guards."

"Marco, when we arrest her and she gets interrogated I can't have her saying, 'she had the Mafia protecting her'," I told him.

"Fine. They'll just hide around the house in case anything happens." I sighed and nodded.

"Chances are that Sage searched my house so it's probably flipped upside down," I realized out loud.

"We'll take a look and clean things up if that's the case," said Cane.

"You can. I have to drop Rosalie off at the airport."

"You're letting her on a commercial flight? Alone," Cane asked, shifting in his spot to look at Marco, who was sitting next to him at the edge of the bed.

"She's taking the jet. And I've already asked four guards to meet me at the hangar." Cane let out an exaggerated sigh of relief.

"Maybe I should go with her," he told us.

"Cane, we already discussed this," complained Marco. "You're not going to kill her. We—."

"I'm not! I swear! I know we need her. I'm just saying I should go with her in case she decides to be herself again and run off— or screw us over."