Chapter 31: The One [Edited]

Y/N

A faint blush stretched over the cottony clouds as the sun awoke spreading its pink arms across the blue sky. Soft waves of wind soared through the breaking dawn greeting us every now and then, blowing the messy bangs away from my face. The melancholy tune let out by the cuckoos filled the expanse with a serene melody and I closed my eyes, breathing in the sweet smell of peace. I was grateful to have the opportunity to witness such intricate beauty of the nature but I was even more grateful for being able to experience it all with a calm heart, something I hadn't have in a long time.

And the one to bring in the tranquility was the person sitting next to me.

Sprawled across the carpeted floor of my veranda I remained with my hands crossed against my chest and legs spread forward while right beside me sat Jeon Jungkook. He had his arms resting on his folded knees with his head leaned behind against the wall with his gaze fixated at the morning sky. Every now and then his body would twitch ever so slightly from the frigid cold breeze with goosebumps shielding his veiny arms.

Both of us stayed there, submerged in a complete yet comfortable silence. The howling of the breeze masked the sounds of our heavy breathing and the now bright sun embraced our cold skin with its warm rays. All together the feeling was heavenly and if I had gotten the chance, I might have preserved it.

Concurrently, Jungkook had been the one to knock on my door while I was being devoured by my deep dark contemplation and to be honest, I was happy for how the things followed suit.

"Hey Y/N, this is Jungkook. May I come in?"

The voice echoed from against the wood and I found myself rubbing my wet eyes relentlessly, trying hard to bring back Kim Brute. I felt my instincts clawing at my heart to let him in but once again like always, fear was the one emotion that shone through the most.

What if he judges me?

He too thinks I am the bad guy, so what if he laughs at my tears?

"Go away Jungkook" I barely managed to keep up my rough act and tried faking it but who am I kidding, the imprint of my agony was eminent on my broken voice. I knew I was too weak at the moment to send Jungkook off and conceding the truth, I gave up.

Moments later the door to my room flew open to reveal a confused Jungkook standing behind it.

"Y/N, are you crying?"

I tried hiding my reddened face but he had already seen it. With slow steps Jungkook entered the room and coming forward he sat on a chair placed beside my bed, all while keeping his concerned eyes on me.

I don't know if it was for the gravity of the moment or something else but his voice felt like an ocean, so deep and soothing, calm yet alluring. The way his eyes crinkled with apprehension caught me off guard and real or not, but I felt cared for. Frown lines layered his forehead with worry and after a single glance at his soft gaze, I even shocked myself when I jumped down from the mattress and ran to the seated man, wrapping my arms around his neck and engulfing him in a tight hug.

"I am sorry Jeon, I am sorry for everything..." I blurted it all out.

"I am sorry Jungkook" I apologized as I averted my gaze from the sky and fastened it on the said man only to find him already staring at me with the same glint of softness in his eyes but also an amalgam of curiosity.