Chapter 37: Betrayal [Edited]

JIMIN

Loud patters made by a pair of thick leather boots filled up the room as a distressed Yoongi paced around in unceasing strides. His disheveled hair sticking out at all directions from his harsh prodding and his face contorted into an indignant frown. The man sighed heavily against the thick, anxious air.

"I can't believe this" roared a furious Jin, all while slumping on the couch with his face tucked into his palms in frustration. Right now he was acing the role of the eldest as his aggravated face was freaking the shit out of us. But his rage wasn't unjust either.

"I never thought he would betray us like that" Taehyung's voice was rather mellow, fairly gloomy. His face too held a shadow of despair. How could it not when he considered Jungkook a genuine friend of his? And to be honest, my heart reflected the very same emotions as Taehyung.

Dragging a rough hand through his newly dyed chocolate brown hair, Jin sprang up from his seat before heaving a deep sigh and trudging over to the kitchen to fetch some water. Hoseok took this opportunity to sit on Jin's chair that was facing Y/N. He pushed his seat closer until he could place a warm palm on Y/n's intertwined ones.

"How could you let this happen Y/N-aah? How could you let him go?" Hoseok tried his best to dim down the annoyance that was pricking at his throat. He might be the quietest among all of us but when it comes to stressful situations, he's the one to always handle things wisely.

Leaning in closer to the girl with a softer gaze, Hoseok was about to say something more when a loud howl echoed from the kitchen.

"Why are you asking this to Y/N, Hoseok? It was Yoongi who insisted on giving him a chance! I distinctly remember telling him to not trust a cop but did he listen to me? NO. I warned him about the outside world but did he care? NO. And now, because of him, all our safety is in jeopardy"

Enraged veins popped out Jin's forehead making his reddened face even more petrifying. The entire mansion was stifling with apprehension and a mix of panic embellished the platter. It was this morning that Yoongi had called us with an anxious voice saying Jungkook was nowhere to be found and on reaching the mansion, we were convinced that he was gone. And apparently, any surveillance footage that could have illustrated his escape plan was gone too. The entire situation was utterly unsettling.

All our lives we have been ill-treated by people. Bullied in school, degraded by parents, losing a family, we all had our own different stories but somewhere we were still similar. The pain and sufferings from our early lives made us connect on a deeper level. However, Jungkook was totally different. Unlike us, he didn't have a traumatizing past to refer to. Maybe that's why he couldn't respect our geniality. He was just too discrete.

Maybe it was stupid on our part to trust someone who had nothing but hate for our kind. We should've seen it coming, I mean, a cop befriending a group of criminals? It was too foolish to be true. We were a bunch of fools!

"Jin's right" came a broken whimper from Yoongi. "If someone is to blame, its me..." the sheer pain of betrayal was elevated in his voice. We had all trusted Jungkook and we were all heartbroken but Yoongi was the one to take him in in the first place. I saw hyung treat him as his own sibling, like he does with Y/N. And now that Jungkook had failed him, he looked beyond broken. And it hurt me seeing him like that.

We may be mafias but we are humans too. I don't remember ever hurting an innocent soul. Couldn't Jungkook have given us one chance?

"It's not your fault hyung" I tried calming the elder down, who had finally stopped pacing and was now seated on a stool with his head down low.

"I'm sorry Yoongi, I didn't mean it like that. I am just too terrified right now. What if he gives us out?" Jin was now rubbing Yoongi's shoulders with indemnifying strokes, while the latter slumped down in defeat.

However, a-midst all the chaos sat Y/N in complete silence. The girl hadn't uttered a single word this whole time. Even her face held more anticipation than it held sorrow.

I have known Y/N since we were in middle school and our friendship was deep enough for me to decipher her deepest emotions and for some weird reason, today it lacked desolation.

Maybe she was too dazed by all these? I mean, she had a very close bond with Jungkook too, maybe closer than all of us!

"Guy's, don't you think all of these escape stuffs seem too unreal? I mean Jungkook had no electronics with him and yet he was able to hack into the security system, mess up the footage and still manage to leave this huge premise without getting caught, and that too in one night! How is that even possible? We have guards all over the place!" Tae's words made us all distract from the pain of betrayal and instead drift deeper into that schematics of the situation. He definitely had a point.

"Are you saying that he had help?" asked Hoseok with eyebrows scrunched together and,

"Apparently" came his immediate reply.

Uncertainty started replacing the despair as the supposed events started playing in my head. Who could it be that helped Jungkook leave? Did we have another mole in the group, like Min Jun? How can -

My mental retaliation was cut short as my eyes abruptly landed on Y/N who seemed more nervous than ever right now. Her stature visibly tensed up at the change of topic and she seemed genuinely worried but why? Was she hiding something?

A glance at her legs justified my doubts as I now knew, she was definitely hiding something. The girl had a habit of vigorously tapping her feet out of sheer nervousness in stressful occasions and right now, her right foot was gracelessly mortifying the floor board.

Does Y/N know something we don't?

I was about to ask her the exact same when a guard came in frantically running to us,

"They are here, the cops..." every word he said was backed up with a wearied pant and every scenes that followed suit birthed a wave of terror in our hearts.

A bunch of police officers barged into the mansion, five to be exact and I was certain about several others surrounding the entire place outside with loaded weapons. However the one that convened all our gazes was a certain someone standing in his uniform with a proud badge on his chest reading LT. JEON JUNGKOOK.

He didn't spare us a single glance and kept his gaze fastened to the distance. Not a tiny hint of remorse was visible on his face and that made me realize exactly how wrong we were to think he was our friend.

A tall officer with a muscular built came forward, his name plate reading KIM NAMJOON. He came up to all of us with a printed warrant in his hand before saying the words we never wanted to hear.

"Kim Y/N, you are under arrest..."

___________________________

To Be Continued