1

Mercedes Paxton
This Year is Gonna Be Great... Maybe. We'll See.

Junior year. Supposedly, the most important year of your entire high school career. This year I cannot get distracted. But I can have some fun.

My door opens. "Mercedes. C'mon, so we aren't late." My brother, Ashton, says.

Getting adopted by my parents was possibly the best thing that could've happened. They took me in when I was about four, and treat me no different than Ashton. We get along pretty well. Although he's bitchy.

I look in the mirror one more time and fix my curled hair to frame my round face better. I grab my backpack, and walk downstairs to grab my laptop. As I get closer to the table in the middle of the foyer, I see a note on top of my laptop. I pick it up and read it.

'Good morning honey. I'm sorry I couldn't see you this morning. Had to be at the school early, so I'll see you there. In case I don't, have an amazing day. And I wanna talk to you about something after school, so be home please. I love you'
-Dad'

I smile and put the note into my backpack, then my laptop. I speed walk to Ashton's white, pristine, '08 BMW M6 and hop in. We speed down the street blasting music with the windows down.

Once we reach the school, and he parks in his parking spot, we hop out and walk to the front doors.

"You excited?" He asks, glancing over at me.

"Eh. School is school. Are you excited, Mr. class of 2021. This is your last year, I hope you make it count."

"I will... by partying."

"You ready to leave for Chicago?"

"More than ready. Arizona is boring. I'm ready to move on with my life, you know?" We make it to front door and Ashton opens it for me, then walks in.

"Yeah, I get you. But you're obviously gonna miss me the most, and it's okay to cry about it." I pout and pat him on the back.

"Ha ha ha. You're so funny." He rolls his eyes at me.

"Bye Ash." I wave and he smiles as he goes down to the senior locker wing.

I turn right and head to the junior locker wing.

"Ahhhh! It's my bitch Mercedes." I hear a voice yell.

Tiffany speed walks toward me and wraps her arms around my neck.

"Ahhh. I missed you," I laugh wrapping my arms around her. "How was London?"

She backs out of the hug and fixes my hair. "Eh. Same old, same old. I wish you would've went with me." She frowns.

"I know. But my mom said she didn't like that I'd be gone for that long. Next summer for sure though."

"You better." She scolds.

"Hey guys." Another voice says next to me.

"Ahh hey Blair." I smile and give her a side hug.

The bell rings and I get my phone out of my back pocket to look at my schedule.

"I have AP Human Geography first. What do you guys have?" I ask.

"Honors Humanities 3." Tiffany says.

"Me too." Blair says locking her phone.

I groan. "Text me both of your schedules."

"Bye Mer." They say at the same time and walk off.

I sigh and walk to the History wing. I get a couple of 'heys' and 'how are yous' as I walk. I find the room and walk in, as the bell rings. I look around and remember that this is a senior class, causing me to groan internally. I take a seat as the principal starts speaking over the intercom.