Chapter One: The Boy in the Iceberg and The Avatar Returns

The ship crashed through the water, Ryoko could feel the waves against the metal. She pulled her hair into her ponytail, feeling the softness of her dark hair get pulled back into its severe hold. Her boots made little sound on the metal floors throughout the ship. It was another day on the ship.  

As she was about to leave the inside she hears, "Finally." She sighs putting her arms behind her back and holding her soldier's stance. "Ryoko!" She steps out carefully and arrives onto the deck where Iroh and Zuko were. "Uncle, do you realize what this means?"

"I won't get to finish my game?" Iroh asks as an answer. Zuko turns back to the light that soared to the sky. Ryoko gazes up, admiring the brightness of its power. 

"It means my search is about to come to an end." Ryoko steps forward next to the prince still gazing up at the light. She felt her chest tighten, and then release something. Like a weight on her. She could feel it, this was the Avatar. They had finally found him. 

"We finally found him." She mumbles in relief. She could hear Iroh's sigh, and knew his sigh was not one of relief. 

"That light came from an incredibly powerful source. It has to be him," Zuko exclaims. The light diminished causing Ryoko to turn away and face the two firebenders. 

"Or it's just the celestial lights. We've been down this road before, Prince Zuko. I don't want you to get too excited over nothing," Iroh says from his spot on the floor with his game. Ryoko frowned and spoke up.

"I don't mean to seem rude General but the only way we can be certain is if we go to the source." Ryoko says. 

"Ryoko, please. I am retired, you do not need to use the formalities with me. Why don't you two sit? Enjoy a cup of calming jasmine tea?" Iroh asks noticing the intensity of both teens. In their armor and harsh expressions it was hard to tell that they were so young.

"I don't need any calming tea! I need to capture the Avatar! Helmsman, head a course for the light." 

Ryoko stays silent and walks calmly over to Iroh's table to reach for tea. Hearing the prince yell so early in the day was enough for her to need tea. She would and must trust what Prince Zuko plans. Iroh smiles gratefully as he places down the last piece in his game and hands her a cup of tea. The wind blows harshly over the boat as Ryoko feels the chill go down her spine. She sips on the hot tea and finishes it fast, not thinking about the burning sensation. 

"Ryoko, you should not rush a tea like jasmine tea." Ryoko chuckles and places the cup down. 

"Apologies," is all she replies as she makes her way towards the inside of the ship to conduct business. 

Her mind could not help but think of the Avatar. It would be a great feat to capture the Avatar and return him to the Fire Nation. She would be known in the Fire Nation as the young girl who helped capture the Avatar for her country. She would have to rise up in ranks. It only depended on finding the Avatar. And now the moment would come.

The sun had set and night would be coming. Ryoko had rid herself of her armor, her ponytail, and her weapons. She could not rid her mind of finding the Avatar though. He was out there somewhere and yet here she was, waiting. She reached the top of the ship and managed to pass by Iroh. 

"Don't tell me you will be losing sleep over the Avatar as well?" He asks, his tone only full of concern, not judgement. 

"I can't help but let my thoughts lead to the Avatar, Iroh. I figured I'd get some air before it became dark," she tells him. Iroh just nods and pats her shoulder. 

"Okay. I am going to bed. Try to see if you can get Prince Zuko to come inside." Ryoko bowed her head silently and then stepped foot outside, feeling the wind hit her. The darkness had not yet taken over the sky.