Chapter Twenty Two: The Avatar State [P3]

The next morning as the sun shone brightly over the base, Ryoko felt more aware and ready for the day. Ryoko faced Katara who sat in her bed while the boys were off on their own. After hearing that Katara wasn't joining them for another day of General Fong's idiotic antics, Ryoko was determined to not be left alone in the idiocy. "Are you sure you don't want to come today?" Ryoko asks Katara. Her arms were crossed over her chest as she looks quizzically at the waterbender. 

For a moment, Ryoko was reminded of Zuko, how she would ask him time and time again to join her to music night as she chuckles slightly at the memory. It was only not so long ago things were simpler. Now she was asking a new friend to accompany her for something much more important.

"I'm sure." Ryoko wanted to say more once again, but she didn't know what to say anymore. Instead she nods and waves at her to say goodbye. As Ryoko walks up to the two boys she notices the ansy features on the Avatar. "What's wrong?" Aang looks up at Ryoko and gazes into her kind eyes.

"I'm going to tell the General I can't continue." Ryoko succeeds in fighting the smile that wanted to come onto her face. Even if Katara wasn't coming, he was making the right choice. 

"What made you change your mind?" 

Aang thought back to his dream. The dream that showed the danger of the state he goes into and how those see him. What he could do to others. "Nothing, just changed my mind." He walks a bit faster as Ryoko turns to Sokka. 

"Is he okay?" 

Sokka nods with a relaxed expression. "Yeah he's fine." 

The three teens go into the main room where General Fong sat high above. Ryoko felt proud watching as Aang spoke to General Fong but the way he looked still made the firebender cautious. 

"The thing is, I don't think we'll ever be able to trigger it on purpose. So I guess that's it." 

"Sure I can't change your mind?" General Fong asks Aang. 

"I'm sure. I can only reach the Avatar state when I'm in genuine danger." 

"I see." The expression on the general's face was filled with disappointment. "I was afraid you'd say that." Ryoko furrows her brows as she takes a step forward but she gasps as she was too late. 

The general slides his foot and the large desk flies towards Aang as Ryoko and Sokka yell for him. The soldiers behind them hold them by the arms causing the two to struggle against their grips. Ryoko growls to herself in anger as she thrashes against the two soldiers. "Aang!" They continue to yell. 

The general moves forward towards the large hole in the wall of the building and looks down at his men. "Men! Attack the Avatar!" Ryoko clenches her jaw as she feels her hands start to burn hotter. Flames erupt from her hands, burning the soldiers who held both of them. They yell in pain and one of them stomps into the ground. A rock pole flies up under Ryoko, sending Ryoko into a large pole at the other end of the room.

"Ryoko!" Sokka yells for her as she groans getting up.

"I'm fine!" She gets up and glares at the soldiers who stood between her and protecting the Avatar. Smoke pours out as she then mutters, "but I'm getting really tired of getting hit with rocks." The two soldiers widen their stances from across the room while the other two soldiers who held onto Sokka gave the other an insecure glance. The fiery girl may have not gotten the first hit but she would get the last it seemed to them. 

Ryoko moves forward in a rush as the soldiers prepared to fight. All Ryoko could think about though was the fact that Aang was outside, alone, and being attacked by the General and his men.