Chapter Six: The Waterbending Scroll

Ryoko sat on the floor, hearing the scraping of tiles against the table. Another sleepless night led to her sitting with Iroh in his game of Pai Sho. "Are you paying attention, Ryoko?" Iroh asks calmly. She blinks rapidly before nodding.

"Yes, Iroh. Thank you for letting me play." He gives her a smile as he continues to play the game with the two other members of the crew. The game confused her but it was interesting how Iroh played. He was thoughtful and intelligent, she never realized how much wisdom he held. She watched as he moved his pieces and then paused, a smile on his face.

"Let us change course toward the port, it seems I am missing a lotus tile." Ryoko's looks at Iroh quizzically. He was up to something, but she couldn't tell what.

"With all respect, are you trying to anger him today?" she asks the man. This was just the thing that would make her see him and Iroh seemed to know it. The ship starts to turn around from Iroh's orders and she sighs putting her hands over her face. "I see what you're trying to do." This would be a long day. 

"You must speak with my nephew soon, Ryoko."

She heard the loud footsteps of the prince as he made his way over to the helmsman. "What is the meaning of this mutiny? No one told you to change course." 

"Actually someone did," Iroh says from the table. Ryoko managed to not make eye contact with Zuko and kept her eyes on the game, the intricate pieces being her focus. She moved one of her pieces forward as the crew members stared at the table anxiously. "I assure you it is a matter of utmost importance, Prince Zuko." The crew members nervously make their turns, making it Iroh's turn. He rubbed his beard, trying to make a decision on what move to make. 

"Is it something to do with the Avatar?" Ryoko turned to Iroh for him to make his turn, ignoring the questions about the Avatar.

"Even more urgent." He's really trying to drive his nephew crazy, Ryoko thinks. "It seems I- I've lost my lotus tile." He makes his move, his piece going across the table. Ryoko breathes in deeply, trying to figure out her next move while ignoring the inevitable argument. "I am teaching Ryoko, and I fear I cannot go on without my lotus tile." Ryoko still had not looked up from the table and moved a piece, looking to Iroh who smiled in response. 

"Lotus tile?"

"For my Pai Sho game. Most people think the lotus tile insignificant. But it is essential for the unusual strategy that I employ."

Zuko clenched his fists. "You've changed our course for a stupid lotus tile? How could you let him try that?!" 

Ryoko paused in the silence and then looked up to see him staring at her. She felt this was the first time since they were on the boat leaving the crescent shaped island that he actually spoke directly to her. He barely spoke to her and she barely spoke to him, barely even looked at him. She turns her vision back to the table and calmly decides on her next move.

"He's a retired general, I think he could do as he wants," she replies quietly making another move without looking at him. Pai Sho seemed like a complex game that would take her thoughts away from everything. She had avoided anything to do with the temple, including Zuko and firebending. If she avoided them then she could pretend the day didn't happen. It sent chills down Ryoko's spine whenever she thought of the events that took place. Seeing the Avatar and bending fire towards those she should be on the same side of. She couldn't trust herself anymore. Even thinking about after getting off the island, the kiss, it was overlapped by the overwhelming feeling of guilt. 

Zuko's goal was to capture the Avatar, Ryoko tried to keep her mind off of the kiss knowing it was a sudden move most likely random so she wouldn't feel bad.