Chapter Twenty Three: The Cave of Two Lovers

The trees shook in the light breeze that cascaded over the group. The wind whistled around them, calming them after the confrontation with General Fong. Everyone took off their regular clothes for ones to get wet and relax before they would continue on to Omashu. Ryoko, like the rest, discarded her clothes and appreciated the moment to unwind.

"You guys are gonna be done soon, right?" Sokka asks Katara and Aang as he lounges on a large leaf with Momo curled up on his stomach. Ryoko lay on her own leaf with her eyes closed, filled with peace. It was different than the nights spent sleeping on Appa or in camps they made for a night. At night she confronted memories and fears, now she was surrounded by her friends who were all awake and aware. Compared to those nights, she could feel for a moment that she could relax with her friends not worrying about the next step. She hadn't realized until this moment how tense everything was around them. "We've got a lot of ground to cover if we want to make it to Omashu today."

"What, like you're ready to go right now, naked guy?" Katara asks with a playful smirk, annoyed by her brother interrupting her practice with Aang.

"I could be ready in two minutes," Sokka replies moving his wet hair out of his eyes, "seriously. Whenever."

Ryoko sighs, moving her arms from behind her head where they previously laid. "Take your time guys, I can use a few minutes before we can go." Katara and Aang laugh at the firebender who then started warming the water after laying her hands in the blue waters. Her fingers glided through the water feeling the bubbles come up as it grew hotter.

"Not helping, Ryoko." Ryoko chuckles as the water starts to warm under Sokka making him sigh in delight.

"It's not like I'm teaching him firebending right now, which you still need to learn by the way, Aang. I'm sure I am not as good as my grandfather but I know some things." Without her open eyes, Ryoko could not see Aang and Katara give a look to each other. The silence makes Ryoko raise an eyebrow and open her eyes and turn her head to the pair. "What? What's wrong with you two?" Her eyes glance between the two of them who are passing water between each other.

Ryoko sat up in her little float of a leaf. The scar that covered her shoulder down to her elbow exposed itself to the open air unlike ever before. Without having her armor, she was just left with her scar and the memories, yet it was never brought up. Ryoko glances down to Sokka who also had his eyes closed. "What's up with them?"

Before Aang could say anything Sokka interceded without a care in the world. "Aang burned Katara when firebending and now he doesn't want to do it anymore cause he's afraid." Ryoko stares speechless at the non bender before her wide eyes stare incredulously at the Avatar.

"Y-you don't want to learn firebending anymore?" She blinks rapidly, in a state of disbelief.

Aang is interrupted once again, his mouth barely opening before Katara speaks up on his behalf. "Well Aang needs an earthbending teacher so once he learns earthbending from King Bumi and masters it, you can teach him when he's ready."

Ryoko inhales deeply and leans back onto the leaf. "Alright," she mumbles closing her eyes again resting in her comfortable spot once more. The feeling of the water around her hands was soothing. It surrounded her fingers and took her away from the heat boiling within her. Ryoko heats her hands once more to warm the water and lets out another sigh.

Not long ago Aang was begging her to teach him firebending when she wasn't ready, and now he was holding back from learning what he was meant to. Ryoko knew she would be a hypocrite if she judged him on his decision for now. She would admit that she had done the same thing countless times, trying to give up on firebending and holding back from her destiny. Each time though would end in her being led straight to it. They still had some time until he would face the firelord, so it was fine, right?