Special #17

"Let's admit it. Zane, you actually smiled for once." Lloyd said,closing the door behind him in the car. Jay proudly took the driver's seat, knowing where to go just this one time.

Zane avoided the two ninja's glare, settling down in his own chair. "Yes, I admit it." Zane stated,owning up to his words. Jay laughed, and Lloyd broke into a cheeky grin. Zane could see the happiness returning to the two.

"In the meantime." Jay started up the engine, and the car roared to life. The three ninja drove alongside the road, cars traveling besides them. Building after building passed by them, and it soon became a blur.

"I hate to bring this up." Jay said, his voice dropping the heartfelt mood. "But what are we going to do about the others?" Lloyd and Zane fell silent at his words, the same thoughts on each others mind. While Lloyd and Jay had reached some semblance of peace with Zane, the other ninja, mainly Kai and Cole still felt irrational thoughts towards him. Kai had reached a bit of peace, but Zane could feel hints of betrayal rolling off of him. In the meantime, Cole had lately distanced himself from everyone except P.I.X.A.L., who would come by his room ever so often.

"For starters, I know Kai was in a better position than I was." Jay said, trying to give his friend advice. The three ninja soon hit a red light, and Jay turned over from his seat to look at Zane. "But Kai would flare up if we even mentioned Yulta or you." 

"Oh gosh, if only I hadn't been so consumed by my anger." Lloyd regretted, focusing on the pedestrians walking outside. "I could have been there for my friends. Everyone around me was falling apart, and I did nothing to help them." Lloyd said, curling his hand up into a fist. Zane smiled.

"It's not your fault Lloyd." Zane said, trying to offer him support. Zane looked down at the ground, gripping his hands. 

Jay sunk in the back of his seat, tapping his foot against his chair in an effort to pass the time. An eerie silence took over the car, each person's thoughts revolving around one thing - their friends.

"It's at least reassuring knowing that you all are okay." Zane said quietly. All ears perked up in response to his words, and Lloyd and Jay let out uneasy chuckles.

"To say I'm okay is an overstatement." Jay said, watching the countdown on the sidewalk go down to two. "But I'm getting there."

"Here here. And after seeing Turner turn out like that, it's hard for any of us to feel anger." Lloyd said.

"Hey bud." Jay said, beginning to press his foot against the accelerator. The car began to pick up speed, and Zane could see the landscape changing from skyscrapers to smaller buildings. "If I'm going to be honest with you, I don't think Kai should see you like this."

Zane blinked away from the landscape, changing his gaze onto his friend. Jay averted his eyes from the mirror to the road.

Lloyd sighed, pushing himself back into his seat. "He may have a point. I know Kai's prone to anger after all." Lloyd said in an attempt to loosen up the suffocating mood. Jay passed him a small smile, but both Lloyd and Zane saw the strain in his eyes. 

"I'm not saying this because Kai's prone to anger." Jay clarified, understanding the joke, but explaining his reasoning anyways. "I'm saying this because Kai might explode if he saw you harming others. Kai already hates Yulta with a burning passion, and while his hatred diminishes whenever he sees you as a friend, you act completely different when you're fighting."

"You're saying Kai might see me as an enemy instead of a friend?" Zane inquired. Jay gave him a silent nod, eyes on the rode.

Zane paused, and the morning sun slowly hitting the windshield reflected his growing realization.