Chapter 11

The next morning we're woken by Makarov. He knocks on the door, asking if we're up already.

"What do you want, gramps?!" Laxus shouts back. I look up at him, my face flushing red as I realise what happened last night by his bare chest. However, it's not like I'm wearing that much myself.

"Where did Chase go?" he asks, not entering the room.

"Natsu's!" Laxus shouts back. "Now piss off!"

I hear some grumbling about being loud and I feel my cheeks burn. 

"What are you being red for?" Laxus suddenly asks. He's laying on his back, his arms folded behind his head.

"Master saying we were loud," I admit. "I didn't realise it myself."

"I didn't expect you to be flustered about that," Laxus says.

I look up at him in confusion. I can guess what he's talking about, but I sincerely hope I am wrong. "How do you mean?"

"Concerning your last job and all. I didn't expect you to act prudish," he bluntly says.

I sit up and in silence start getting dressed.

"Did I say something wrong?" he asks, sitting up as well. "Or are you going somewhere?"

"You know I never meant to take on that job, I only took it to have an income for me and Chase," I say. "I'll be going to the guild."

"Do you have training with Erza?" Laxus asks, looking at me.

"I don't, I need to pick up Chase."

"Doesn't he still have training, why don't you go in the afternoon?" he asks, watching me search for a brush in the room. I find one and start brushing my hair.

"Get a hint for once... I don't want to go in the afternoon because I want to get away from you for a bit," I answer.

"Why?" he continues asking, making me only more mad.

"As soon as you've found that out, come see me. Before that, leave me alone." I lay down the brush and walk to the door.

"Hey, Mary-" His voice gets cut off by the door slamming shut. I sigh and start walking to Fairy Tail.

How could he have said something like that, after having seen me there. I've never been comfortable at my old job, but I just couldn't quit it. I really thought he understood.

"Hey, Mary. Where's Laxus?" Mira says, as I walk in and sit down at the bar.

"Probably still in bed," I mumble. "Can I get some breakfast?"

"Yes, of course. Did something happen?" Mira asks, starting to prepare some food.

Before I can even answer, Cana butts into the conversation. "I suppose a lot happened, huh?" she asks, tapping my neck.

I whince as she touches the sensitive skin and pull up my shirt to my chin. "Don't."

"Want to talk about it?" Mira asks, putting down breakfast and a cup of coffee in front of me.

I don't know if I should talk about it, I also don't want to make matters worse. "Just... I guess a small misunderstanding..." I decide to answer.

"You seem to be quite down about the small misunderstanding," Cana says. "Come on, spit it out. Have a drink." She moves a bottle of beer my way.

I move the bottle away again, already getting nauseous of the thought of drinking alcohol in the morning. "Fine..." I sigh. "It's about... my last job..." I start off. "Master asked where Chase was because off..." I try finding the right words, then realise they can probably guess what happened after Cana decided to point out the hickeys. In my anger this morning I totally forgot to cover them. "Because off last night. It just flustered me and Laxus said he didn't understand why."

I play awkwardly with my food, resting my head on my wrist. "He's so insensitive," Mira sighs, starting to clean some glasses. "How do you survive staying with him?"

"Isn't that a bit hypocritical coming from you?" Cana asks Mira, who shoots a glare back.

I almost forgot Mira and Laxus used to be together. "It isn't that bad..." I mumble. "Like I said, just a misunderstanding. I told him he could come see me when he realised what I'm mad about." I take a bite from my breakfast and look up at them. "Tomorrow is the Harvest festival, right?"

I only found out later that the Miss Fairy Tail contest Laxus spoke about, is part of the Harvest festival. It's a festival being celebrated every year in Magnolia. There's a huge parade and people come here from all over Fiore. I never joined it myself, but it seems to be a lot of fun.

I suddenly feel a hand on my waist. "Yeah, tomorrow's the festival."

I look up, seeing Laxus. "Let me go."

"Now, hear me out," he says, staring back down at me.

"First let go," I speak slowly, trying to exeggerate all of the words. I look up at him, trying to keep back the pain it takes to tell this, so that I can maybe seem mad.

He sighs and lets go. "Jeez, fine. Either way, I'm sorry." I notice how some people look at us confused, though it doesn't come as a surprise that Laxus doesn't quite apologise a lot.

"What for?" I ask him, folding my arms.

"For saying that I didn't expect you to be prudish because of your last job," he says with a sigh. He looks away from me, obviously not happy with having to say it.

Just as I'm about to get up to hug him, I hear glass shatter behind me.

"Hey, Mira-" Cana's voice sounds.

I turn around, to see a furious Mira. She has small cuts on her hand, and is staring at Laxus. "Why?" she solely asks.

"What?" Laxus returns, wrapping his arms back around my waist, which I now let him do so.

"Why couldn't I get the least bit of respect? You told me you'd only help if someone else would strip for you and I never got an apology. Now you do apologise for this. Why?"

I feel bad seeing Mira like this. She's teared up, her voice risen at the lightning mage.

"I just lost interest," Laxus simply responds.

The entire guild hall has gone silent by now, watching the scene.

"What do you mean; you just lost interest?"

"You never really challenged me. You just were there. Beauty gets boring too after some time," Laxus says. "And that while you were so strong, or did you lose confidence after the incident with Lisanna?"

I can see how rage and pain build up in Mira's eyes, as she walks over and hits Laxus. Laxus doesn't do anything back, as the cheek where she hit him turns slightly red. As Mira realises she won't be getting a response, she walks out of the guild.

I've heard about Lisanna from Elfman and Mira. We were talking about siblings, since Chase had just gotten himself injured during a trianing. They also told me how she died.

"Wasn't that a bit much?" I ask Laxus, looking up at him.

"How do you mean? I just said the truth," Laxus answers, scoffing.

He did not just scoff at me. I reach up for his ear and pull him down, him almost losing his balance by the sudden action. "Listen up here, you huge ass idiot. Sometimes you don't speak out your mind, because it can hurt people. So the next time you see Mira, you're going to apologise to her."

"I'm not apologising to anyone," Laxus says, grabbing my arm and releasing his ear, standing back up straight.

"You did just apologise to Mary," Natsu butts in with a chuckle. He soon receives a lightning attack from Laxus, being floored. 

"Laxus!" I try, but he's already left to walk up to the second floor.

I sigh and walk to Natsu to help him up, apologise, and after apologise to Elfman for Mira. I hope she'll be back soon to apologise to her too.