Chapter 14

(A/N): I know the master was in the infirmary for health problems, but I thought this was unlogical since I left out a huge part of the internal Fairy Tail war arc. I also had to change the speech a bit to fit the situation.

As we arrive back at the guild, there is a very tensed mood. Not many people seem to be injured, luckily. I hear some whispers, about the Thunder God Tribe, Chase, and me.

"Mary and Chase had no role in this," Freed suddenly says behind me. I turn around and give him a thankful nod. I do understand why people would think so.

"Laxus, the master is in the infirmary. He said he'd be waiting there for you so you could talk in private," Mira says. "I think it's best for Mary to come, to help explain the situation. Master will send her away if he wants to talk to you alone."

Laxus nods and walks to the back of the guild, I quickly follow him. I notice how Natsu takes Chase's hand, dragging him to a table and doing a reflex game to distract him. I feel bad for Chase, he might be scared by this entire scene. I'm glad Natsu takes care of him.

The master is sitting on one of the beds in the infirmary, waiting for us to come over. He jumps off the bed and walks to the middle of the room. He nods at me as a welcome, though doesn't seem to want to say anything to me, neither send me out, as he directs all his attention to Laxus.

"What a noisy bunch," Laxus says, listening as the voices in the guild hall gain volume. I stay silent, wondering how he can make such a casual remark in this situation. Or maybe it's the situation which causes him to make this remark.

"Do you understand what you wanted to do?" the master asks, looking at Laxus. His eyes are filled with disappointment. I notice how Laxus looks away, which follows into the master commanding him to look him in the eyes, and Laxus following this command.

"Guilds, you see..." the master starts off. "They're a place where friends gather. They're a place where you can get work. And to kids with no place to go, they can be a home. They're not something you can own. A guild is the confidence and good will of each individual, and from them the tough bonds that are formed. You went against that good will and threatened the lifes of your fellow members. This is not something that can be forgiven."

"I know," Laxus answers. I notice how he balls his fist and I try taking his hand, wanting to comfort him. Though he pulls away, showing a big amount of regret for his actions. "I... wanted to make this guild... stronger..."

The master sighs, as he walks closer to us. "You're so awkward," he comments on Laxus's stance. "Try relaxing a little, would you? If you do that, maybe you'd see things you can't right now. You'd hear words that you can't hear now. Life is more fun!"

The master drops a pause. I tear up, scared for what's yet to come, as Laxus again avoids the master's stare. He closes his eyes, to continue his story, as grandfather to grandson.

"Raising you was like a new lease on life for me. You don't need power. You don't have to be smart. Just be happy and healthy. That's all I ever wanted for you..."

There's another pause, and I see how Laxus's shoulders are shaking. Is he about to cry? I assume the words must have some emotional effect, but I would have never imagined to see Laxus cry. I sigh and hug him softly, wanting to grant him some comfort, but he doesn't respond.

"Laxus..." the master continues. He raises his hand, as to send him out, which his next words strengthen. "You are expelled!"

I let go in shock, as tears start streaming down my face. I look up at Laxus, who stares at his grandfather, a mix of shock, despair, and sadness covering his face.

"Yeah... Sorry for the trouble..." He walks to the door, as the master turns his back on me. "Old man... Take care of yourself and Mary for me."

I stand in between the two, tears streaming down my face as I'm not able to move.

"Get out! And Mary, stay here," the master commands.

I look at the master, tears still rolling down my face. "B-but..."

"It's fine. Find Freed if you're done here," Laxus says as he walks through the door.

I look at the door, even when Laxus is already long gone. Not being able to grasp what just happened. Laxus is leaving... I might not see him again... This can't be true.

"Mary..." the master says as he turns back around. I look at him, seeing tears welled up in his eyes. I see... It must've also been very hard on him to send the boy he raised out, and this for the second time. "I understand your pain, but let it be buried in the arms of your friends. Fairy Tail isn't just a gathering of wizards, we're friends... No, we're a family. Find comfort in this family and try to move on. If not for my or your own sake, do it for Chase, Laxus, and the rest of Fairy Tail."

He holds out his hand to me and I take it, falling down on my knees. I'm now approximately the same height as the master, as he gives me a comforting hug. "We're all here to help each other through, that's part of being a Fairy Tail wizard."