Chapter 16

"Welcome back to the world of the living," he tells me, shooting me a quick glance before watching where he is walking once again.

I look around, recognising where we are, it's fairly close to the camp.

"Y-You've come back," I mumble, wrapping my arms around his neck. I pull myself up by my arms, burrying my face in his neck, as tears start streaming down my cheeks.

"You're still a weakling."

"Unemotional idiot."

I smile, having missed these silly insults. Laxus stops and I left my head, hearing three familiar voices. "Laxus!"

Suddenly the two of us are surrounded by Bickslow, Freed, and Evergreen. The three of them seem overjoyed to finally see back their companion, not that I blame them.

"You're totally beaten up, Mary! Gihee," Gajeel's voice suddenly sounds.

I look up, only to see him wrapped up in bandages and sitting along the side. "You're no better, screwhead!" I yell back at him.

Laxus looks at it and puts me down, sitting down himself, as he looks at the victorious mood of our guild. I start a discussion with Gajeel, talking about which of us could fight longer, as Laxus speaks to Freed, Bickslow, and Evergreen.

Everything seems back to the ordinary. I guess this is just how Fairy Tail deals with things.

In silence I enjoy the cheery mood, making a quick stop to have Wendy heal me. I notice the master, Laxus, and Erza have walked off. I bet it's about Laxus rejoining the guild, I guess I should talk about it with the master too later. We still must travel home, so there is more than enough time.

Everything seemed to be perfect, until suddenly a tensed situation takes over. The next moment is too fast to keep up with, as I'm still not perfectly able to walk and I'm out of magic power.

Laxus picks me up from the floor as Gildarts tells us to run, a huge black shadow covering the camp. As I look up, something truly terrifying is flying above us, a black dragon, with a magic load which feels as if the skies are going to burst.

As we run, the group splits up, though the dragon cuts our way off.

"What's happening...?" I ask, looking up at Laxus in fear.

"Acnologia," Gildarts answers in his stead. "A dragon solely focused on murdering people, he sees us as insects. And we might as well be called insects in comparison to him."

"Run," the master says, as he starts growing. His gigantification magic enables him to stand eye to eye with the dragons. "Run, young ones. I'll keep him off. Reach the boat and live!"

Everyone seems to hesitate about leaving the old man alone, as Natsu starts protesting. The protest soon infects others, as Laxus moves me so he can hold me in one arm -I suddenly realise again how insanely huge he is-, and grabs Natsu's collar with the other. "Let's go, Natsu."

Natsu protests for a few more seconds, though suddenly stops. I look up, and immediately find the source of Natsu stopping. Tears have welled up in Laxus's eyes. It must also be painful for him to leave the master behind.

The group starts moving again, though soon Natsu calls out: "damn it! Is this what we are Fairy Tail for? Running away?!"

"Natsu is right," Gray agrees. "We need to help gramps!"

"I hate to admit it, but I agree with the flamebrain," Gajeel tunes in.

"I think we all have the same feeling..." Erza starts off. "Though we must believe the master in stopping that beast."

"There's no way the master can defeat it on his own," Gildarts remarks, worry overtaking his voice.

"Then that's settled!" Natsu says as he stops running, the rest soon follows his example. "We'll slay Acnologia as a guild!"

Enthusiastic screams rise, as we all start moving back to where we left the master. I wish I had some magic power left.

Laxus puts me down as we arrive and softly kisses my forehead, making memories come back and my cheeks redden. "I'll protect you, this time for real."

The guild starts attacking. Four dragons slayers, supported by the entire guild. Yet... It doesn't seem to do anything, Acnologia seems unscathed. Panick takes over the group, most of us seem scared, Lucy starts crying in despair, and Laxus walks back to me, sitting down on his knees and pushing me into his chest.

Seeing Laxus like this suddenly makes me realise the grave danger we're in, and tears also start stinging in my eyes. "Are we going to die?"

"We can protect everyone with rune magic, please stand in a circle!" Levy demands.

"We'll try not to," Laxus says as he helps me up.

We all stand in a circle, hand in hand. Light descends from us, as Acnologia prepares its attack. I look to my left to see Laxus. I softly squeeze his hand, searching for some comfort, and he looks at me. I see his worried look, before everything suddenly goes black.