04 - Check

Dax

Well, that went well. I wasn't sure how she'll react to the news, that the nurses were updating me on her condition, but I guess she didn't mind it that much...or she was really tired. Maybe the latest. She looked ready to fall asleep on the spot.

"Umm, do you think we could stop at a pharmacy to take my pills?"

"Yeah, sure. Do you have your prescription?" She started fumbling with the papers in her hands.

"Yes. It's somewhere in here. Hey, how do you know where to drive to? I don't remember telling you my address." Shit! I guess I should've asked her, now I have to tell her that I'm using my job as a source of information.

"Don't be too mad at me, please." I dared a look at her. She was looking at me with squished eyes. "I checked you in the system."

"Excuse me?"

"I... sorry?" I tried to sound apologetic, but I guess I failed. I really didn't feel like doing it because that way, I found some things about her that she probably would never tell me. Like, that was her 10th place to live in, she doesn't have a car, the previous places where she lived in were as shady as her current one. Well, maybe now she's living in a little bit better place. She started legally working at the age of 17 and was changing her work places like her homes. She worked at a gas station, a restaurant, a book store, and the last known place is a little restaurant serving breakfast food throughout the day.

"And why, may I ask, you checked me?" Surprisingly, she doesn't sound mad, so I looked at her. Yup, she wasn't trying to kill me with her eyes. I guess she wasn't too pissed. Or just wanted me to drive her to her place.

"I... don't have a legitimate reason. Just wanted to check if there was a reason for you helping us with the bank."

"Hmm. And did you find something interesting? I really don't know what you guys have on me. Do I have a juvenile record?"

"Do you have a reason to have one?"

"Well, not exactly..."

"What did you do?" She started blushing, and I knew that this was gonna be something good.

"I might or might not set someone's house on fire when I was 14 years old."

"You what?" I was shocked. And she was getting more and more red with every second. "What did he do?"

"How did you know it was a 'he'? And that I didn't do it just because?"

"You don't look like the violent type. So, I'm guessing some douchebag tried to make something that you were not agreeing with."

"Damn, I guess you are very good at your job, huh?"

"At least I try to be." I smiled at her foolishly, and she smiled back. "So, what happened back then?"

"Just... wrong group of people, I guess. Back then, my mom was still alive, but honestly, I didn't see the difference between then and when she died. She was caring just for herself, so I had to find a way to care for myself. I met a group of teenagers who were like seasonal workers on a farm. They took me with them and accepted me in their group. Most of them were older than me, but they looked pretty cool, and I was happy to be among the cool kids. One day, after we finished working for the day, we all went and party in the house where a lot of the kids were living. It was all fun and stuff until one of the boys drank too much and decided that I had to sleep with him, because I had a job thanks to him." - Fuck! I really didn't like were this story was going. - "I tried to dodge him for a while, no one was coming to help me and I knew that I needed to do something big, so he'll stop chasing me. So...I punched him in the balls and set his house on fire. And ran away." What? I...I wasn't sure what I heard. Is she for real?