No Backing Out

Summary: Penny makes Simon text Baz.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Simon

The rest of my shift at the cafe is me making a mess of dink orders and spilling black tea all over the floor. Penny is still studying at the small table when my break starts. She didn't bother chasing after Baz when he left. I assume he let and Penelope didn't shove him out the door. I head to the back of the cafe and peel my apron off. The beige color before is no longer beige, but is stained dark brown and reeks of black tea. Never did like black tea. Or that coffee stuff that Shepard bought that one day at the cafe. I didn't even know we sell that stuff. I asked Ebb about it and she said she recently put it on the menu. She said we were one of the only cafe's not to sell it. If this were my cafe, I wouldn't sell it. It tastes gross. And it smells too. And it makes your breath smell of dead animal.

That was also the day I saw Baz. He came into the cafe just when I didn't want him too. You never do get what you want, do you? He glared at me and Penny started making fun of me for glaring right back. Why does he have to be so perfect all the time? He just waltz's around everywhere, looking like the king of fucking England. He probably could be, if he wanted. Penny says he's really smart.

Ebb pokes her head out and waves to me. I wave half-heartedly, my mind still on Baz. I feel my fist clench and my face get hot. Why does he hate me? I don't even hate him. I don't think I do at least. Penelope says he's fine, and I always trust Penny. She's the smartest person I know. She says he's really kind, but gets kind of snarky when she talks about me. That just makes me madder.

Ebb walks over to me, patting me on the shoulder. "What is it, chap? I can practically smell yer gears shiftin' up there," she taps my head.

"Just this guy," she raises both eyebrows, her blue eyes getting a bit bigger. I shake my head at her. "He hates me and I saw him today. I'm just mad. Sorry, about the mess earlier. I guess I wasn't myself."

"My boy, if that young man hurt yer feelings, just tell him. I'm sure he'll understand," she smiles warmly at me.

"It's not like that Ebb! We're not- Uh... we aren't together or anything... erm. He doesn't like me."

She furrows her brow. "And you're sad 'bout that? Because you like him, but he doesn't like you?"

"No, Ebb. We don't like each other. I just- argh! He's just so perfect and he always looks at me like I'm in his way! The first time I saw him, he practically was a jerk to me! He would never like me." Does that mean I just implied that I like him? No. It doesn't. That's not what I meant.

"Hmm. Seems like yer a bit confused, Simon. I understand. Why don't you take the rest of the day off. Sort through some things? Tell that young blonde I say hi, yeah? She came back from America, I heard? And Penelope too!' She smiles and gives my shoulders a squeez. Her blonde hair cuts across her chin, just reaching her shoulders. It sways when she speaks.

Why does Ebb have to be so kind? So kind and caring. I love it. What would I do without her? I could use some thinking. "Yeah. Thanks Ebb. I'll pop in tomorrow morning?" She smiles and nods. I grin and wave back to her as I head out to go see Penny.

We always hang out on my break, I guess we could hang out for the rest of the day too since I'm free now. Though she'll probably be studying. I guess I could bake at our flat. I'd have to get some groceries though. Never a problem. I love grocery shopping.

"Hey Si," she says. "Did you bring me a tea?"

"No, sorry. I'm off for the rest of the day," I pull out a hair and sit across from her.