4- Aria (EDITED)

I pushed Mr. Clayborn down the hallway and to the cafeteria. I leaned over his shoulder as we stood in line, asking, "What are you hungry for today?"

"Surprise me," he said, looking up. He smiled, lips pressed tightly together. Then he lowered his head, saying, "Whatever you think I need to eat this afternoon, I'll eat."

Hmm.

I reached for a tray, and then I grabbed a plate, some silverware, and a napkin. I wasn't sure what he'd be hungry for, so I pushed Mr. Clayborn down the line, having him look at all the different food, asking what looked good to him.

"I said to surprise me, woman!"

I giggled.

I can't with this man. He always has me laughing, and I love him for it, so I wouldn't want to trade him for anyone else.

I started loading his plate with food I knew he liked but stopped after forgetting to make sure he put in his dentures. I turned towards him, asking that he look at me, then said, "Smile for me, please. Only this time, show me your teeth."

"You know, all you had to do was ask. Anywho. To answer your question, I didn't forget to put them in this time... see." Mr. Clayborn smiled, showing his teeth, and then he stuck out his tongue.

I giggled, shaking my head. "You're something else."

"So are you... I've been trying to figure you out all morning. You look different today. Almost like you got laid over the weekend. Did you want to tell me about it?"

My eyes widened, then I set the ladle back into the gravy and snapped my head towards him. "Excuse me?"

He grinned, then laughed. "You heard me. Look how wide your eyes are."

"For your information, I did not get laid. I finally had an exciting weekend for once," I said, with a serious look in my eye, but after seeing the curiosity on the old man's face, I couldn't help but soften my tune and laugh. "Even if I had gotten laid. I sure wouldn't be telling you about it."

He grinned. "Sure, you would. I'm an old man, and since I can't get laid anymore, I'd rather talk about sex with someone who's at least getting it. I need to feel young again, you know. It'll make me live longer. But, you know, a beautiful girl like you should be getting it all the time."

I can't believe he wants to talk to me about sex. I looked away from him and up to the woman standing behind him, shrugging my shoulder. "Don't mind him. I think he's really missing his wife today."

"No, I'm not," he exclaimed. "She's not missing me, so why should I miss her?"

I patted his shoulder. "She misses and loves you. You know she does."

He shook his head. "I'll have to disagree with you on this one. She'd send the angels to come to get me if she missed me. Yet, I'm still here. Anywho, I'm not ready to leave this place just yet. You're much prettier to look at." He wiggled his bushy eyebrows up and down fast, smiling from ear to ear.

That was my cue to finish dishing his food and find us a place to sit. Mr. Clayborn wanting to talk to me about sex was a conversation I didn't wish to have with him. And I also didn't need the other nurses listening in on our discussion and having a fit about it.

I set his tray of food onto his lap, pushed him over to an empty table near the corner of the room, got him situated, and then sat down. He looked at me, confused. "Aren't you going to eat?"

I waved my hand across my face. "Nah. I'm not hungry."

"That's not good for you. You should never skip a meal," old man Clayborn scolded, aiming and pointing his fork at me. "He's on your mind, isn't he?"