4: Death wish

"But why would Alby go into the maze? I mean, he's not a runner." I say, stabbing my blade into the ground while Chuck works on a carving of some sort.

"Things are different now. Alby went to retrace Ben's footsteps before sundown." Newt tells me. "Are you gonna help?" He asks.

"So he's gonna go back to where Ben was just stung-"

"Alby knows what he's doing...alright? He knows better than any of us." Newt tells me

"What does that mean?" I ask him.

"Well, it's like you have heard, yeah? Every month, the Box sends up a new arrival. But someone had
to be first, right? Someone had to have spent a whole month in the Glade, alone. That was Alby. I mean, it can't have been easy. But when those other boys started coming up, one after the other...he saw the truth. And he learned that the most important thing... is that we all have each other. Because we're all in this together." Newt tells me and I shake my head.

"No, we're not. We're forced to be together. This is their plan and there's only one winner. That's how it is and that's how it always will be. And don't give me that High School Musical bullshit." I say and I hear Zart chuckle.

"Well, it depends on what kind of winner you are. To win to save yourself or to win to save everyone else. Even thought we're forced to be here, doesn't mean we all can't naturally bond. Look at you and Chuck. You're only a few years older than him. You guys are practically besties." Thomas says and I look at Chuck who just grins up at me.

"But there's a catch. There always will be one. In the real world or not." I say.

"Then that's the choice you're gonna have to make when that catch comes at you." Thomas says and I sigh.

I then get up and take my blade out from the ground. I twirl it in my hand and I kneel down to the tree stump. I then whack it. I begin to struggle as I slowly wiggle my blade out.

"Here, like this." Newt says, kneeling next to me.

He puts his hand on top of my mine that's holding the blade handle. He then whacks the tree and the blade gets in the woods. He wiggles it back at forth.

"Yeah, I got it. Thanks." I tell him and he nods, taking his hand off mine.

I whack the tree stump once again and I finally wiggle the blade out with ease by remembering what Newt had just done.

"Yeah. There you go, Greenie." Newt says and I stop wiggling the blade.

"Call me Greenie again, and I'll kick you in the balls, next." I tell him and I hear Thomas chuckle.

I then look back at Newt who's still kneeling beside me. I give him a knowing smirk. I then turn back and continue whacking my blade into the tree.

   ||

"They should be back by now. What happens if
they don't make it?" I ask over the loud rain.

"They're gonna make it." Newt says and I turn to him.

"What happens if they don't?" I ask again, walking over to him.

"They're gonna make it." He repeats, nodding at me and I sigh.

"You don't know that." I say and he looks down at me.

"And you do?" He asks, raising an eyebrow at me.

"I didn't say that. We all don't know anything. We're just kids." I tell him.

"You really have not faith, do you?" Newt says.