5: Punishment

"That's disgusting." Frypan says as we reach the Griever I had crushed in between the walls.

"There's something in there." I say, squinting my eyes at it.

"You mean, besides a Griever pancake?" Frypan says to me.

"Woah, what are you doing?" Zart says as Minho walks closer to it.

But before he can even do anything, the Griever moves and we all stand back.

"Woah!" We all say.

"I thought you said it was dead." Frypan turns to me.

"Was it a reflex?" Zart asks.

"You hope." Winston says to him.

"Okay, c'mon. Let's try and pull it out. Everyone get a hand on it. C'mon." I say and I hear Frypan slowly sighs.

We each grab the Griever's leg and use all the strength we have together. I wonder how much stronger we'll be if everyone came with us.

"Alright, ready? On three. One, two, three!" I say in a strained voice.

We then yank it out, but we end up falling. I get up and I hold out my hand for Frypan.

"Are you okay, Fry?" I ask.

"Yeah. Thanks, Alana." He nods, patting my shoulder and I nod back at him.

"What the hell is that?" Winston asks as Minho digs into a part of a Griever.

He takes out a gadget, leaving the rest of its guts spilling on the floor.

"Interesting." Minho says as he observes it.

"Okay, whatever it is...can we take this up back at the Glade? Because I don't want to meet this guy's friends." Frypan says.

"He's right. It's getting late. C'mon." Zart says and we start running back.

   ||

"We found this. It was inside a Griever. These are the same letters we get in our supplies." I tell Gally.

"Yeah." Gally flatly says as him and Newt look at the gadget.

"Whoever put us here obviously made the Grievers." I tell him. "This is the first real clue, the first anything, you've found in over three years. Right, Minho?" I say.

"Right." Minho nods.

"Newt, we gotta go back out there. Who knows where this might lead us." I tell him.

"You see what she's trying to do, right?" Gally says to Newt. "First she breaks our rules...and then she tries to convince us to abandon them totally. The rules are the only thing that have ever held us together. Why now are we questioning that? If Alby was here, you know he'd agree with me. This shank needs to be punished." Gally says.

"Call me a shank one time and I swear I'll-"

"Calm down." Minho mutters, cutting me off as he holds me back.

"Why do you let the simplest things get to you?" Gally asks.

"Because, I have a name for a reason. And I would like to be called by it. I should be calling you asshole instead of Gally. But I don't want to. I have respect. Which is clearly something you don't have." I say as he clenches his jaw at me.

"You're right. Alana broke the rules. One night in the pit, and no food." Newt finally says as he hands Minho the gadget back.

"C'mon, Newt! One night in the pit. Do you think that's gonna stop her from going into the maze?" Gally says.