20: So, you found a cure?

"In the beginning, we were lost. All we knew for sure...was that the younger you were, the stronger your chances." Mary says as I watch the blood go down the needle from my vein.

"You worked for WICKED?" I ask, turning to her.

"Long time ago. You know, at first, we had the best intentions. Find a cure, save the world. It was clear you kids were the key, because you were immune." Mary says as she pours some liquid into a beaker.

"But why?" I ask her.

"Eventually, we found an answer. An enzyme produced by the brains of the immune. Once separated from the bloodstream...it can serve as a powerful agent to slow the spread of the virus." Mary says as she mixes other things.

"So, you found a cure?" I say to her.

"Not exactly." She shakes her head. "The enzyme can't be manufactured, only harvested from the immune. The young. Of course, that didn't stop WICKED. If they had their way... they'd sacrifice an entire generation. All for this. A gift of biology. Of evolution. But one not meant for all of us." Mary concludes as she sucks up green liquid into a needle.

Mary then walks over to Brenda and kneels beside her while Jorge holds her shoulder. She injects the needle into Brenda and she gasps, her mouth hanging open as Jorge holds the sides of her head.

"How long will that give her?" I ask.

"It's different for everyone. A few months maybe. But that's the catch, isn't it? She'll always need more." Mary says and I scoff, nodding my head as I look at Brenda'a chest slowly heaving up and down.

"There's always a catch." I mutter

"Okay. Let's go outside. Let them rest. Let's go." Mary says to Jorge.

"No, I'm okay. I don't need rest." I tell Mary.

"You do need rest." Mary nods. "She'll be fine." She says to Jorge begins to tell me something.

I nod at Jorge and he nods back, then walking out.

"Alana. You know she can't come with us, right?" Mary says to me.

"I..." I trail off as my eyes water.

She rubs my shoulder, giving me a sad grin, then heads out of the tent.

I then look down at the multiple bandages on my arm and I tap my fingers over them. I then look at Brenda as I hear her breathing starting to get steady. I curse under my breath as I let a tear roll down my cheek.

I then grab Newt's hoodie and slip it back on. I stand up from my seat and look down at Brenda one last time. I then notice the silver item she had took back at the building. I slowly take it from under her and I open it, revealing a picture of a girl.

"She was my sister." Brenda says and I look at her with wide eyes.

"Hey. Sorry. Are you okay? How are you feeling?" I ask as I hand her the silver case back.

"You remind me of her. She always saw the best in people." Brenda says as I sit back down in my seat.

"Where is she now?" I ask her.

"I don't know. When we were kids...we were taken in by one of WICKED's camps. They gave us a bunch of tests. They didn't want me. They wanted her, though. They didn't even let me say goodbye." Brenda croaks out as she turns on her side to face me more.

"What was her name?" I ask her.

"Gabriella." She says.

"Pretty name." I say and she grins at me.