19: The Right Arm

I keep my gaze on the bracelet Thomas had put on me before I went into the maze to find a way out. I then roll the window down and let the cool wind hit my face.

"Alana, will you please say something? I miss your annoying voice." Minho tries to joke, but I keep my stare on my wrist.

"Baby, please." Newt whispers in my ear, then leaning his head against the side of mine.

"Alana, please. You have to say something. It can even be a curse word." Brenda says, looking at me from the middle seat.

"How far are we, Jorge?" I lowly croak out, but he somehow managed to hear me.

"Not long, hermana." Jorge says and I nod at him.

My eyes then meet Thomas's. He was already staring at me through the rear view mirror. I tear my gaze away from him and I look back out at the window. Guess he remembers what happened at the party.

"Alana, this isn't your fault, okay? None of it." Aris tells me.

"Yeah, he's right. It isn't. They manipulated you. Like they do to everyone else." Frypan says to me.

"Alana, get them out. I know you will." Alby says as he lets go of my hand.

"No!" I yell as my eyes water.

"Alana." Newt says and my breath hitches.

"Take it. Thank you...thank you." Chuck heaves to me as he slips the figure into my hand.

"No! Chuck! No! We made it! Dammit!" I sob, shaking him.

It's my fault.

"Alana. Take care of them." Winston croaks out.

"I will. I swear." I cry out, then turning on my heels as more tears roll down my face.

"Alana!" Newt says again, this time he raises his voice.

I snap out of it and look down at my shaky hands while my lips tremble.

"I'm damned if I do, and I'm damned if I don't." I whisper to him, finally meeting his brown eyes.

"What? This isn't your fault. You didn't know, baby." He says and I lean into him.

"But I always had a feeling. I should be punished for that." I croak out.

"Alana..." Newt trails off, but I ignore him, inching myself father away from his body.

        ||

"Well, I guess we're on foot." Jorge says as we all step out of the car.

I start to shiver, so I take Newt's hoodie off my waist and slip it on. I then look down at my arm to see the bandaid still stuck on my skin from when they took my blood back at Janson's. I rip it off and fold it, tossing it away. I then roll the sleeves down.

"Baby." Newt whispers and he wraps his arms around my neck.

He then pecks my cheek and I sigh, rubbing his wrists that are still wrapped around my neck.

"You guys are cute." Brenda says and I grin at her as we begin to walk, passing through abandoned cars.

"Thanks." I nod at her.

I then notice her limping and I look back at her as my heart starts to race once again.

"Are you okay? I ask her.

"Yeah, just a little tired is all." She says and I nod at her, rubbing her shoulder.

We then all start looking at cars, trying to find anything useful. I then turn my head to see Thomas tracing something on a car. I walk over to him, ignoring his stare on me while trace I the bullet hole on the front window.