Chapter 36: So Much More

{Shawn Mendes}

I wake up, seeing a sleeping Shawn next to me. I smile and slowly get out of bed, making sure not to wake him up. I close the door to the room and walk down the tiny hallway that leads to the front door, seeing Maw Maw sitting on the porch.

"Good morning.", I say, opening the door and sitting in the rocking chair next to her. "Good morning, my Grace. How did you sleep?", she asks, sipping her tea. "I sleep really well. The best sleep I've had in about a week.", I say, sighing. "I know, hun. I'm so sorry this all happened.", she says. I look at her. "Maw Maw, you have nothing to apologize for. It's not your fault." I say, grabbing her hand.

She squeezes it, reminding me of Paw Paw the last time I saw him. "Grace, hun, he loved you so much. So very much. He was so proud of you, too. Always keeping up with what you were doing. When you told us about your new career, he was ecstatic. He knew it was exactly what you wanted and he wanted it for you, too. He also really wanted to meet Shawn.", she says, looking at the flowers in her front yard.

"I know. And now that will never happen.", I say, tears forming in my eyes. "Oh, Grace. He met him on his last day. He knows how perfect Shawn is for you. He didn't even have to see it, he could sense it. We can all see how perfect you two are for each other. Y'all complete each other.", she says, smiling at me. I smile and blush. "I hope Paw Paw thinks the same thing.", I say. "I know he does. I know he does."

"Sarah is really heartbroken." I say. "I know. We all are, but her more than most. She was his girl, you know? You both were." I smile. "I know. I found her glassy eyed in the living room on his last day. She just couldn't do it." "She's going to need to grieve. And it's going to take her time. A lot of time. But, she can get through it. And so can you." she says, tapping my hand.

"Where's Shawn?", Maw Maw asks. "Still sleeping. He's been tired lately, too. I keep having nightmares and he is always there to comfort me and make sure I fall back asleep. He worries too much about me and not enough about himself. He needs to sleep right now.", I say.

"Well, we might as well have breakfast ready for him when he wakes up. Want to help me?", she asks, smiling. I nod. "Are we making your famous breakfast pizza?", I ask, eagerly. "Of course. Shawn has to try it. It's what I'm famous for.", she chuckles. "Well, he is going to love it. Breakfast is one of his favorite types of food.", I laugh.

"It will not disappoint. Let's get cooking!"

------------------------------------------

"Do you think I should go wake him up? The food is going to get cold and it's already 9.", I say. Maw Maw nods. "Yeah, I would wake him up. If he is still tired he could always take a nap later.", she says. I get up and walk to my room. I open the door, seeing a still sleeping Shawn hugging a pillow.

"Shawn.", I say, rubbing his shoulder, softly. His eyes flutter open and he sees me standing over him. He glances to the pillow he is cradling and says, "I thought that I was holding you.", I chuckle. "Clearly not. Anyways, Maw Maw and I made breakfast for you." I say, kissing his head.

"Thank you, darling. Let me put on a shirt and I'll be out.", he says, standing up. I nod and start walking out of the room, but turn around and walk back towards Shawn, wrapping my arms around his torso. "Hey.", Shawn says, hugging me back. "Hi.", I say, looking up at him. "Are you alright?", he asks me, rubbing my back. I nod. "I am. I really am. Thank you.", I say, resting my head on his chest.

"You don't have to keep saying that.", he says. "I know. But, I feel like I do. You've done so much for me, you don't understand. Thank you.", I say, kissing his lips. I feel him smile and he rests his head against my head. "I love you. So so much, Grace.", he says. "And I love you so much more."

-------------------------------

final edit of chapter 36 :)