Chapter 20 - The Enhanced

(Your POV):
I rejoined the fight, shocked by how many soldiers H.A.M.M.E.R. had managed to amass. It had turned into mostly a genetic research organization while I was working there and we only had a few elite teams of soldiers. But it was clear that since I had left, the new leadership decided on a more militant direction.

A blur of red and blue swung by and I momentarily got distracted as I watched Peter fighting off the bad guys. Noticing stray bullet flying his way, moved it in the opposite direction, hitting on the H.A.M.M.E.R. agents. Peter looked over at me, realizing what I had done and gave me a nod in thanks. The eyes of his mask widened, and I was suddenly pulled towards him by his web. The spot where I had stood erupted in flames from a grenade and I muttered a thanks to Peter before getting back in the fight.

Even with the full team, we were being overwhelmed by the amount of soldiers pouring out of the base. Natasha has slipped inside with Bucky to investigate, but outside the rest of us were  being overwhelmed. Thankfully, it didn't appear that any on the field were enhanced, which at least boded well for an eventual win. But it also raised the question where the hell was the enhanced that we had been promised was now part of H.A.M.M.E.R.?

Unfortunately that question was answered when my body froze as I was bringing the blade of my dagger down upon one of the soldiers. Although I couldn't move to look around, the confused chattering off the other Avengers alerted me to the fact that I was not the only one that this had happened to. It had to be the enhanced, that was the only explanation for it.

Which meant I had to unfreeze myself, I couldn't let this thing hurt anyone while we were incapacitated. It felt as though I was in a dream, my brain was telling my body to move but my body refused to comply. Suddenly I was set free, causing me to fall to the ground due to the strength I had been using to try to move. I propped myself up on the grimy sidewalk, realizing that I was the only one that was freed.

A sharply dressed man with sickly pale skin walked over to me and held out his hand to help me up. Fear flooded my veins and I scrambled away, jumping up into a defensive stance. He seemed rather amused by everything going on, sending chills running down my spine.

"Now, now, (Y/N), you really don't have to be that rude do you?" The words left his mouth in a lyrical pattern, his voice entrancing. "Oh, please do forgive me, what was it that you call yourself now? Thunderbird? Would you prefer you call you that?"

"I would prefer you tell me what the hell is going on here," I spat, my knuckles turning white as I gripped my daggers tightly.

He sighed, "you know, I'm really trying my best to be nice to you here."

"Good for you, I don't care. Tell me what you've done to my friends." I glared at him as I began to circle him like a predator, a desperate effort to make it seem as though I had the upper hand.

"They're all fine, I can assure you of that. I am to assume that your parents never told you of me, then?"

My eyes scanned his body, from that ridiculous fedora, down his impeccable three-piece suit, all the way to his perfectly shined shoes. "No, I think I'd remember you."

"Oh, in that case, I'm Alfred, but feel free to call me Al."

"You're the enhanced, I assume?"

"What a spectacular observation given that I am currently keeping anyone on this battlefield from moving. Truly observant, no wonder why you made such a terrific agent."

His sarcasm caused a brewing of anger deep within me as I demanded through gritted teeth, "what are your powers then? Stopping time?"

"Oh no, nothing that spectacular, just advanced telekinesis. You see, your parents suspected that you had fallen and so they put their efforts into someone who could easily beat you should it come to that. I have your telekinesis, but stronger, and I'm impervious to your electricity. You see I'm no match for someone as weak as you."