Chapter 29 - Saving the World

(Your POV):
"Ok, but have you beat Thor with his powers," Peter asked me as we walked along the rooftops together, our hands brushing passed each other with each step.

"Well, not technically-"

"I knew it!" He interrupted and I could almost see his goofy grin through his mask. "There's no way you could beat a literal god."

I huffed at him, "I've never done it in the training room, but that doesn't mean I couldn't do it out on the battlefield if I needed to. You've seen what I can do when I lose control of my emotions."

"Yeah, you can get really scary, it reminds me never to piss you off."

I laughed at his comment, not caring if anyone heard us down below. We were strolling through Queens, a familiar past time for Peter and something that I was just getting used to. I honestly could not have guessed how uneventful it could be just walking around waiting to come across some crime. In the previous few weeks, we had helped a few lost tourists, brought a stray cat to a shelter, found out that shelter was a kill shelter and just took him back to the tower so now he resided with me, reprimanded someone for littering and made them clean up their fallen wrapper, and stopped a single attempted bike robbery. We were really saving the world.

I honestly wondered how Peter had done it all of those years without getting bored out of his mind. Since I had him to talk to, it wasn't as dull for me, but without him, I probably would have given up on this at most a week into it. However, today was proving to be a reminder of why Peter even did this in the first place.

"(Y/N), look down there!" Peter spoke, the eyes of his suit widening. I immediately turned to see what it was he was so excited about and discovered a handful of men in ski masks barging into a bank.

I turned to him with an excited smile spread across my lips, "I guess that's our cue."

Peter wrapped his arm around my waist and swung me down to the ground. I was still terrified every time he did that, but it was the quickest way to descend from the roof so I was not going to complain about it and let criminals get away because of my fear.

We leaped into action the minute that our feet made contact with the pavement, sprinting into the bank, ready to attack the robbers. We probably should have assessed the situation before, but hey we had been doing absolutely nothing on patrol and we were desperate for some action. Still, now we had to worry about the hostages, who were being guarded by one of the men. I quickly used my telekinesis to pull the gun out of that robber's grasp and into my own.

"Spidey, you take care of the bad guys, I'll get the hostages to safety," I ordered him, already dodging bullets to get to the people cowering in the corner of the room.

Even after having had his gun ripped from his hand, the robber was not going to back down and he ran up to me to fight me hand-to-hand. I smiled at him as he threw the first punch, "this was a bad idea, you should have run while you still could."

I caught the arm that he had tried to punch with and flipped him to the ground, sending enough electricity into him to make him pass out temporarily but not kill him. Unfortunately, that garnered more attention towards me and I was suddenly being shot at by another one of the robbers in the corner.

"Hey, Spidey, I thought you were going to take care of these guys for me?" I asked him, sending all of the bullets that were going to hit me into a wall instead.

Peter was flipping around the bank, avoiding bullets and webbing the criminals up as he called back, "I'm working on it, just give me a minute!"

I turned my attention back to the hostages, trusting Peter to protect me as I helped get them to safety. I reached down to help one them off of the ground and instructed, "listen up, I'm going to get you out of here but you have to trust me, ok? I'm going to take you in two groups, but don't worry about which group you're in because I am not going to let anyone get hurt."

Starting with those who were injured and the mother and daughter who were cowering together, I led them out of the bank, keeping an eye out for stray bullets. I deflected every bullet aimed towards us and managed to get them to the door, ushering them to safety. They were crying out their gratitude, but I had already turned my attention back to the remaining hostages, running back to protect them. It was the same as before, except as we were halfway across the floor I heard Peter hiss in pain.

My head whipped around to see how badly he was hurt and in the moment of distraction, missed the bullet that was flying towards the group. I think the remaining robber had meant to aim for me, but it was heading straight towards one of the hostages. It was as if time slowed and I quickly stepped in the path of the bullet, not having the time to send it away telekinetically. I swallowed the cry of pain that rose up in my throat as it made contact and told the hostages to run to the door.

They did as I asked while I turned on the remaining robber, sending a knife hurtling towards him. It did not puncture his skin, but pinned his shirt to the back wall, giving Peter the time to get up and web him up.

I raced to his side the minute I knew that we were in the clear, frantically checking to see where he had gotten hurt. "Are you alright, you seemed to be in pain, is there anything I can do?"

"It's nothing, I just fell into the floor with a bit more impact than I had anticipated, but I'm all good now. But you, you're bleeding," he realized, noticing the blood seeping through my suit.

Thankful that the hood did not cover my mouth, I gave him a reassuring smile, "I'm all good, it was only a scratch. Now should we get out of here before the cops show up?"

"A little late for that," Peter noted as the whirling of sirens rang throughout the bank. "Let me do all of the talking, I run into them all of the time."

"Oh great," I muttered sarcastically, popping up onto the teller counter as I waited for the cops to come in.

Peter started speaking the moment that they appeared, "hey boys, don't worry we got it all squared away. If I were to guess, this one is the leader and the money that they managed to get is sitting in that bag over there. Have fun with them!"

I shook my head at my boyfriend and slipped off of the counter. I apologized to the cops as I walked past, "sorry about him, he hasn't been able to stop a real crime in weeks and he gets a little overexcited. But do enjoy booking them!"

Once outside the bank, Peter carefully wrapped his arm around me so as to not hit where I was shot and swung me up to the roof across the street. He took my hand in his and encouraged me to go with him, which I did without question although confused as to where he was taking me. It was another couple of blocks before he finally turned back at me and lifted his mask over his mouth.

"Peter, what are we doing here?"

"I wanted to get away from the press and the crowds so that I could do this," he answered, bringing his lips down to mine. I could feel him smile into the kiss and I knew that I was doing the same, savoring the moment.

When we finally pulled apart I suggested, "we should probably head back to the tower so they can make sure you weren't hurt too badly and I can get this bullet out."

The eyes of Peter's mask widened, "wait, what bullet? You were shot?! I thought you said it was just a scratch?"

"Yeah, it was just a scratch but like from a bullet?" I tried to cover up my lie, hoping that he wouldn't freak out too much.

-

(A/N): Ok I just was really happy to end on that line, also I have completely not been warning you but this is the last actual chapter. Don't worry, there will be an epilogue, but now that H.A.M.M.E.R. has been destroyed and you've settled in with the Avengers, there's not too much more growth I can stretch out of this (plus you know this is like what the third book now so I think it's gone on long enough lol). So yeah, you'll get the epilogue tomorrow but I hope you enjoyed this chapter in the meantime!