Chapter 5 - An Ounce of Freedom

(Your POV):
I was chasing a masked figure through the city, jumping from rooftop to rooftop in an attempt to keep up with my target's fast pace. Desperate to take them down, I threw one of my blades, but they easily ducked out of the way, caught it, then threw it back at me.

I didn't have time to be stunned by their reflexes, having to immediately stop the blade from hurling towards me. Using my telekinesis, I simply restored it on my belt and continued chasing after them, deciding this would be an easier task with my gun. I fired off round after round until I finally saw the target go down, satisfaction rushing through my body.

I knelt beside the target, who was now bleeding out onto the rooftop, and ripped the mask from their face so that I could finally see what they looked like. I stumbled backwards in shock when I found myself staring at the face of my ex-boyfriend, pain and anger washing over me in an instant.

"Peter!" I cried out, my consciousness finally returning to my body as I sat up on my mattress. My brain finally adjusted to the sights of my cell, assured that what I had experienced was just a nightmare. I tried to slow my breathing, but was overwhelmed with sobs.

I didn't even know why I was crying, it had just been a dream. A stupid dream that had no impact on reality, meaningless. But I was hysterical and nothing but time could reign my emotions in.

Once I finally calmed down, I knew that there was no point in trying to fall back asleep, so I picked up the book that had been dropped off the night before with dinner and continued where I had left off. I was hoping to make this one last, but I needed something to take my mind off of the nightmare so I started reading and didn't stop until Natasha came with breakfast.

"Hey kid, it's your lucky day," she spoke cheerfully as she walked into the room.

I glanced up at her, my interest piqued. She placed the normal plate of food on the tray, but I could also hear the clatter of two hard objects hitting the metal. I rose from my mattress and waiting for the food to revolve around to me, finding it accompanied by two bangle-like objects.

Noticing my quizzical look, Natasha explained, "put those on, eat your breakfast, and then I can take you out of this cell."

Disbelief coursed through my veins and I stated dumbly are Natasha, wondering if what she was saying was true. This had to be some sort of trick. I knew that Bucky said that he would try to get permission for me to leave, but I had assumed he was not actually being serious. I mean, I was their enemy and their prisoner, they wouldn't just let me loose in Stark Tower.

Natasha rolled her eyes, "just get eating, I haven't got all day."

Her words broke me out of my stupor and I scarfed down the food. Once my plate and been cleaned, I slipped the bracelets around my wrists, inhaling sharply as the cold metal made contact with my bare skin. I placed the empty plate back on the tray and watched as Natasha walked over to the control panel. I craned my neck to see if I could make out the buttons that she was pressing, but I did not have a clear enough view.

Suddenly the door to the cell wooshed open and I tentatively stepped out of it, as though afraid that by crossing the line I would be sealing my death. I took a deep breath of the air outside of cell and then walked up to meet Natasha.

She was watching me closely as I exited the cell and now commanded, "bring your plate to me." Confused by the order, I began to walk over to the tray before being stopped.

"No, use your powers to do it."

My heart stopped and I wondered if I had gotten my powers restored to me now that I was outside of the cell. I focused on the plate and waited for it to move, my chest falling when it did not budge.

Natasha walked over and grabbed it before turning back to me, "I just wanted to make sure that those worked, we can't risk you using your powers against us the minute that we offer you a bit of freedom. Now here are the rules for being outside your cell: you will be accompanied by at least one Avenger at all times, you will listen to what we tell you to do, and you will return to your cell at night so that we do not need to force someone to take the night shift, understood?"

I nodded my head, "and do I get to see Peter?"

Her face softened, "(Y/N), I think he still needs some time. I'll make sure that he sees you as soon as he's ready."

"That's ok, I figured he'd still be figuring things out," I replied, trying to keep my voice steady. Knowing that I wasn't doing a very good job of hiding the pain, I decided to change the subject. "So, where are you going to be taking me?"

"You promised Bucky locations and he likes maps, so you'll go uphold your end of the deal and then afterwards I'm taking you to the training room."

"The training room? Why would you want me there?"

"Because it's been a while since I had someone new to spar with and I have a feeling you'll be a formidable opponent, even without your powers."

Natasha then turned on her heal and led me out of the area that my cell was kept. I made a mental map of the path we took, just in case I had an opportunity to escape. Of course, that begged the question where I would escape to. I had been planning on moving out west, some place no one would ever look for me but now I would have both the Avengers and H.A.M.M.E.R. hot on my trail and I doubted I would be able to actually settle down anywhere. Still, knowing the layout of the tower could come in handy.

-

(A/N): Ok very important question for you all: what Hogwarts house would you put Odin in?

While you all deliberate that, please also enjoy your new freedoms that the Avengers are extending to you!