Chapter 27 - Dates and Nightmares

(Your POV):
"Bye, Pete," I smiled at him, part of me not wanting to leave his floor, but also not wanting to overstay my welcome. Things had gotten better for us over the past week, but it still felt like we were walking on eggshells.

"Yeah, um, I'll see you tomorrow?" He looked just about as disappointed to see me go as I felt, but I was too afraid to back out of it now.

Instead I stretched my lips into a smile, "of course. That is if you don't mind you're ass getting beat in the training room." Humor always lightened the mood right?

"What if we did no powers? I might still have a chance."

"Pete, I took out almost all of the Avengers in hand to hand combat, you really think you can win?"

He shrugged, "I might surprise you."

"Well then, I can't wait for our spar tomorrow." This time the smile was genuine, my mind drifting off to picture us playfully sparring together. A brief moment of silence passed between us before I spoke, "well, goodnight, Pete."

"'Night." He brought his lips to mine briefly in a chaste kiss before I could enter the elevator.

The elation from the kiss lasted as I got ready for bed, even if it was only a peck. I buried myself in the sheets and let my mind wander off, but my thoughts still rested on Peter as they did most nights. If only it could remain that way throughout the night.

Two suppressed gunshots stifled the air and I looked down at my work. The couple could have been mistaken for still sleeping peacefully if it were not for the bullet wounds in their heads, blood seeping out of them. My mission was complete.

"Mommy! I had a bad dream!" A voice called out and I tensed up, realizing that I was not alone in this apartment. I should have hidden or escaped, I still had time. Why wasn't I moving? Why was I frozen in this spot? I was better than this.

The door burst open and a young child came running in, probably about five years old. He stumbled backward when he saw me, their eyes wide with fear. Neither of us moved a muscle, too afraid to even breathe.

"Kill it," a commanding voice spoke in my ear.

As if controlled by some other entity, my arm raised to point the gun at this child's head. My mind screamed out to stop, that this wasn't right. But I didn't have any control over my body, no matter how hard I screamed.

I pulled the trigger. It should have been over, I was an excellent marksman. How had I miscalculated? The child was hit, yes, but it was not the quick and painless death I had awarded his parents. But the child would die soon enough, the wound I inflicted was fatal. Still, why wasn't I putting him out of his misery?

As I felt my body going to do so, the voice spoke again, "leave it, it will die."

And that is what I did, turning on my heel and escaping out through the window. I needed to go back, to help this child, but I couldn't make my body turn back. My mind and body were at war, pulling me in two separate directions. My body acted on instinct, reverting back to my training. My mind fought for morality, to use what I had learned throughout the years as a guide in doing what was right.

"Going somewhere?" A voice spoke up and my hand was webbed to the fire escape rail. Peter. This wasn't right, this wasn't how it happened.

Peter, this isn't me, I swear. Please, help me, my mind screamed out in desperation, knowing that he was my only hope in saving myself.

Instead, the words that came out of my mouth were "Spider-Man so nice of you to join me."

The hatred was seeping through my words as I threw two daggers towards him. He dodged one and webbed up the other, but it provided a distraction for me to cut myself free from the webs and regain the advantage. I charged at him, knocking him off his feet and causing him to crash through the old fire escape.

He fell onto the next landing, the eyes of his suit widening as I jumped down from my spot to meet him. He rolled out of the way just in time and my blade missed him, but I could see him wince as he picked himself off of the ground. He made some stupid remark, as he was prone to do during battle, but my mind was set on beating him.

My attacks were relentless, refusing to let him have a moment to breathe and change to the offensive. Blow after blow was either blocked or landed on him and fury welled up inside me. I tried to push it down, to remind myself that Peter was not my enemy. He was just trying to make the world a better place, why was I attacking him? I could have just as easily slipped away and no one would have gotten hurt.

My blade sliced one of his web-shooters, rendering it useless. He knew that he was losing, I could tell that it was taking all of his energy just to block half of my attacks and now that he was down a web-shooter, there was no hope that he would make it out of this alive. Still, this idiotic boy continued to fight, didn't call for backup but just hoped that he could overcome me alone.

I had him pinned down, one of my blades in hand, hovering above him, ready to end his life. Peter was trembling, knowing that he had lost. He didn't see his girlfriend desperately struggling to force her body to let him go, to let him live. All he could see was the ruthless killer that I truly was. The one who killed innocents, who tortured people in the cruelest ways possible, who left five year olds who had just found their parents dead to bleed out a slow and painful death.

"Finish him."

My blade was in Peter's body before I could register what was happening. An anguished scream ripped through my vocal cords, the first sound I could actually make while being trapped in this body.

-

(A/N): So my family were avid Psych fans while it was airing and so we were so excited for the movie and my sister found it playing on USA so she recorded (since it was like at 11 pm and my dad is in bed by that point so we couldn't watch it live) but then it didn't record??? And at this point I was even wondering if it was even the second one because I thought it was airing only on Peacock. So anyway, we tried to play it on Peacock but like we're watching it as a family so we need it up on our TV and not us all huddling around a laptop/phone BUT Peacock doesn't support HDMI. Long story short, my sister and I were so excited to watch this movie, we spent an hour trying to get it to work in various ways, and still have not seen it. So yeah that was my day (which I mean, it definitely could be worse but like it would be nice to have something good in the midst of everything going on but we ended up laughing at this English castle show so we at least got a laugh in)

But I hope you enjoyed this chapter and fun little nightmare!