Chapter Thirteen

Thomas ran down the dark street searching frantically for Yuri. He had never felt so worried in his life. His platinum blonde hair flew behind him and he breathed heavily but didn't stop. Far away, he heard a honk but a car was nowhere in sight. A horrible feeling struck his head and he began to run and shouting Yuri's name at the same time. However, there was no response.

Far ahead on the road lit by the dim street lights, Thomas saw what seemed like a large obstacle in the middle of the street. He ran closer and saw it was Yuri. There was little blood but there was blood at the corner of her mouth. Thomas was horrified. He picked up her body and began to run again, ignoring the cramp on his side. He ran faster than he ever had in his life, even though he was carrying Yuri. He felt a prickling tear at the corner of his eye but it didn't fall.

Ambulance sirens screeched as it sped down the road. Yuri was inside the ambulance on a stretcher and Thomas, Aaron Spiel and Emily Radley were beside her.

The three waited impatiently outside the emergency room. Thomas paced back and forth with a furrowed brow while Aaron Spiel peered anxiously at the door. Emily sat still as stone and looked deep in thoughts.

'Yuri was now in the emergency room and it was all something that started out with her. If she hadn't wrecked Simon's photos out of her jealousy, Yuri wouldn't have left and got hit by the car. Damn it.' Emily thought.

'She just had to get hit, didn't she? But she probably knew about Emily anyway. Yuri just wanted Thomas to like her more, that's why she got hit on purpose. And plus, who told her to stay outside in the middle of the night anyway.' Emily thought.

'Yes, that was it. Nothing on earth happens when it's not supposed to. Life isn't that on target.' Emily got angrier as she thought about it.

'That little witch! She won't get Thomas! Not while Emily Radley is around.'

Three hours later, the doctor came out to meet them.

"Miss Kwon is in no danger," the doctor replied. Thomas sighed with relief.

"There is no need to contact her mother. She just has a sprained ankle, a slightly twisted back and a few bruises. Yuri has been transferred to a regular ward. You may visit her."