Chapter Twenty One

Yuri looked up, stunned. So it was Thomas's brother who had killed Simon. Leon had killed Simon. Thomas was as good as the murderer of her brother.

Thomas bumped headlong into Yuri after music class the next day. She looked up at him firmly.

"Yuri, let's not break up." Thomas, said, grabbing her arm.

She looked up at him and gave him a look. He wasn't quite sure what it meant.

"I'm sorry, Thomas. We were never meant to be together. We can never be together either." She said.

She swung free of him and walked away. As she did, a piece of white fax fell out from her bag. Thomas picked it up and read it. As he did, his eyes widened in horror and he understood. His brother had killed Simon, the person Yuri had loved the most in her life.

"Father, how did Leon die?" Thomas asked Aaron Spiel.

The man stopped in his tracks and looked at Thomas in surprise.

"Why do you ask?" he asked sharply.

"Tell me!" Thomas exclaimed.

"Don't you know he died of cancer?" Aaron Spiel said.

"He killed Simon Kowan, Yuri's brother, and then developed tumour from the crash, right?" Thomas cried.

His father froze.
"How did you find out?"

Thomas shoved the fax into his father's face. The man read it and sighed.

"I knew how much you love Yuri and I didn't want you to know." Mr. Spiel said.

"How did things become this way?" Thomas yelled. "Why is love so unfair? Now she will hate me forever. I am the brother of Simon's murderer!"

Meanwhile, Yuri was back in her dormitory with her cell phone held tightly in her hands. She dialled Simon's beach house number hesitantly.

Yuri waited for the four rings to pass before hearing Simon's voice, "Please leave a message."

"Simon," Yuri whispered into the receiver with her voice choked with misery. "I haven't called you in a long time. How are you? I am in love with the brother of your murderer. I can't control my emotions, Simon. You had always given me good advice. Please help me." Yuri paused so that her tears would not spill.

She swallowed a lump in her throat and went on.

"Help me, Simon. I don't know if I should love him or not. Mother said a person who is deep in your heart is unforgettable. That person was you but I'm not sure if Thomas has replaced you or not. Please help me decide..."

Yuri's voice trailed off as she broke down completely. She felt burning pain in her muscles and it drained out her energy. She squinted with pain as the telephone receiver fell out of her hand and crashed to the ground. The power button hit the floor and the phone shut off. Yuri slumped onto the floor and clutched her chest, wincing in pain. She crawled to her bed and climbed in.