Chapter Twenty Eight

"That is a beautiful poem, Thomas." Yuri murmured sleepily as her eyelids felt heavy. She put her head onto his shoulder and murmured.
"Can you do all that for me?"

Thomas kissed her on the cheek.
"Of course I can. I would do anything for you. Remember, our hearts are connected." He hugged her tightly.

"I'll remember..."
Yuri's voice trailed off and she fell into a deep slumber.

"Yuri!" Mrs. Kwon burst through the door and ran up to her daughter with a duffel bag clinging limply out of her hand.

She studied her daughter. Yuri looked so pale, so weak and fragile. She stroked her daughter's face and hugged her tightly.

"Hi, Mother." Yuri said.

Mrs. Kwon began to sob.

"Mother, what's wrong?"

"Oh, my dear, what happened?" Mrs. Kwon said.

Yuri felt pain shoot through her body and her body felt cold. "It's alright, Mother." Yuri managed to choke out.
Her muscles were weakening again.

"Yuri, look at you. You've grown so much skinnier!" her mother put her arms around Yuri and turned to Thomas.

"Thomas, dear. Thank you for taking care of my little girl." She said, tears in her eyes.

Thomas nodded.

"Yuri, you should go back to the hospital. You will go through the operation." Mrs. Kwon insisted.
Thomas and Mrs. Kwon escorted her to the hospital where they filled in papers for the operation.

"Mrs. Kwon, please go and rest for a while. I'll take care of Yuri." Thomas offered. The lady smiled wanly.
"Alright, I'll go wait outside while you two chat." She said, patting his shoulder.

Thomas sat down next to Yuri and she grabbed his hand.

"Thomas, I'm scared. I don't want to have surgery." She said and her eyes looked frightened.

Thomas took her in his arms and gave her a kiss on the cheek.

"I'll be right next to you, Yuri. Don't worry." He said gently.

"I'm afraid of dying." Yuri confessed.
"Everyone thinks I'm so noble and brave but nobody understands how scared I am inside. I don't want to die." She began to tremble slightly.

Thomas hugged her tighter.
"Everything will be OK." He soothed.

He hugged her for a long time, until she spoke. "Thomas, go get some rest." She said.

Thomas smiled and nodded. Yuri noticed dark shadows under his blue eyes and he did not harden his platinum blonde hair with gel today. Yuri watched him leave and her heart began to hammer with fear. She was so scared, she was so afraid of death. She sat up and put her head against her knees as she cried in the dark. She felt so lonely, so lost...